Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Monday, December 9, 2013

Men are still chasing me @ 50 - Nollywood star, Florence Onuma

Florence Onuma
  Leading Nollywood actress Florence Onuma is one of the most respected names in the nation's motion picture industry. With over a decade experience, the thespian has continued to dazzle movie buffs with her scintillating roles in movies. In this hearty chat, the happily married actress spoke on her experience in Nollywood. She also dropped a bombshell, that men still chase her at 50.



As one of the pioneers in Nollywood, how would you rate Nollywood at 20?

I believe if a child survives the first, second, third and gets to 20-years, he or she has become a man or woman and is expected to act like one. We’ve come a long way. We’ve not arrived but the most important thing is that we are moving. We are still growing and we will get there someday. Many things are still not in place but considering the age of the industry and where we are coming from, we are making lots of progress.

You look younger than your age; what is the secret of your compelling looks?
Nothing spectacular! I owe my looks to God. On the other hand, I try not to overindulge.

You mean you only drink and smoke a little?

I don’t drink and I don’t smoke and I try to eat normal. That is what I mean by not overindulging.  

You don’t smoke at all?

Why should I smoke? Why should I drink? Do I have anything to gain by doing that?

You are sounding like a saint?

I’m not a saint; nobody is a saint.

So tell us one of your vices

One thing I know about myself that could fall into a vice is hot temperedness.  I am quick to temper but I am also making effort to change that. I ‘m a little bit impatience with people that are not doing the right thing.

Tell us about your marriage and what has sustained it over the years

Each time people to talk about marriage crash, they keep referring to Nollywood, as if marriage don’t crash in other sectors. But on the other hand, why would a married woman live like a single lady, simply because she is an actress?  Why would you live as if your husband and children don’t matter to you? These and so many other things are behind most marriage crashes, especially in this industry. I respect my husband a lot. I don’t allow my job to get into my head. I’m like any other woman working in other sectors. I don’t neglect my husband. My first loyalty is to my family. Marriages are crashing everywhere. Again, there are lots of pressures in the entertainment industry. Our husbands should please also be  understanding. They should understand that at times we may have to hug a stranger; we may have to be away in at night…and things like that.

Like how long have you been married?

I’ve been married for 21 years. I got married in 1992.

Wow; but you don’t look it?

I’m almost 50. I don’t hide my age. I was 49-years-old last October. Very soon I will be 50.  

Considering your gorgeous look, I believe men still woo you

(Laughs) Yes, but if you woo me I will tell you I’m married.  I know I must respect my marriage vow. People should learn to respect their matrimonial bed and their husbands.  I still go to the market to buy things and cook for my husband. I wouldn’t want him and my kids to eat what they are supposed not to eat. I give time to my children and tell them to live the way I live.  I tell them not to behave as if they don’t have anybody to chastise them.

At this age, can you still welcome more kids?

More kids at my age? Are you expecting me to have more kids at 49?

You’ve succeeded in keeping away from the media, is it deliberate?

Why should I always be in the news?  The most important thing is that I am not popularity freak. I let my jobs speak for me.  

Share with us what fame has denied you over the years

Part of it is my loss of privacy. Sometimes when I go to the market to buy things, the traders believe that I have so much money on me; they would never believe that at times, I don’t have money. Another thing is my relationship with people, most times, your fans expect you to always give alms or play with them. There are days one wouldn’t be in the mood for pleasantries. Some of them will just conclude you are a snob or not the social type forgetting we all have our mood days.

At this level, what would you not be caught wearing and what is that role you won’t accept?
I can never wear a mini skirt and cannot act nude even if the money is out of this world. At this point in life, money is not everything. Besides, it does not move me. Image is everything to me. I am very comfortable and happy the way I am.

What has life taught you over the years?

Life has taught me that integrity matters so much. I also try to be consistent in what I do. 

Is that what has kept you going over the years

Yes. On the other hand, God and my love for the industry are reasons I am where I am today. I also try to give my best in every job I am doing.   

You are sounding like a Christian

Yes. I am a born again Christian. I even got born again before I entered the industry.
By JAMES EMMANUEL

No comments: