Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Monday, December 23, 2013

Reigning Nollywood actress, Ovo’ Danielz Gabriels says, she once hawked pure water, eggs on the streets



Daniels
Wave making Nollywood actress, presenter and model, Ovo’ Danielz Gabriels, has sensationally opened up on her grass to grace story. The starlet from Delta State, also spoke on the many perks stardom has brought her way as well as challenges on the job. 
  “I’ve had times when I had no kobo with me. There were times I hawked on the streets of Delta State. So it wasn’t all that rosy while I was growing up. I hawked things like pure water, mineral, eggs, etc,” the sexy entertainer disclosed in this hearty chat.  


 Briefly give us an insight about yourself
My full name is Ovo’ Danielz Gabriels. I’m an actress, broadcaster and a model from Delta State.
Tell us more about your acting career
I would say I started my acting career many years ago from the church. As a young girl in the church, I was deeply involved in church dramas and scriptwriting. So acting has been a long time dream. I also belonged to a theater group that went from one church and school to another for performances. After my secondary school education, I decided to study Nursing because of my family members. The truth is that most times our parents want us to study something that would favour the family, not really what would favour one as an individual. And as at then parents used to think acting was a career for the ‘never-do-wells.’ So at the end I went to school, returned and found out that the passion for acting was still there; that was how I finally ventured into it professionally. I also went for six-month-training in Theatre Art in order to groom myself in acting. So professionally, I can say I came on board in 2002, got registered with the Actors Guild of Nigeria in 2004. I rose to become the secretary of AGN in Delta State.
Like how many movies have you featured over the years?
I think I have done a couple of movies over the years, including Foolish Lovers, Christmas Package, Games Married Women Play, etc. I can’t even remember the titles of some.
Have you gotten to where you want to be in the industry?
I don’t think there is any actor that would tell you he or she has gotten to where he wants to be. On the other hand I just thank God for the level I have attained while I pray and hope for bigger levels. Are there not Oscars? Is it too bad to get on the international stage? So there are much more hills to be climbed.  
So you have a Hollywood dream?
As for me I feel there is no height that is too big for anybody to attain. I think I want to get to a level where people would begin to look at me as a role model, not just as an actress. I want to get to a level where I can affect my society positively.
What do you think makes a good actress?
It is the ability to separate yourself from the character you want to play. Apart from that, one also needs to realize that it’s only God that makes a star; at times it’s not really how good you are.
As a talented and pretty actress, how do you cope with male admirers?  
As a female actor, it’s just normal that most of your fans would be males; the same thing applies to the male actors. So I must confess that I have lots of male fans and admirers, but I know where to draw the lines. I appreciate my male fans because without them I don’t think I would have gone this far. I don’t look at where you are coming from, I don’t look at whether you are rich or not; I just respect the male folks as an African woman I am. I have that respect for men no matter their age.
So how do you draw the line for those of them that may want something intimate with you?
 What I do is to respectfully tell them I’m not interested. I don’t insult my ‘toasters.’
What is the craziest thing a male fan has done to you?
The truth is that some fans could be so crazy (laughs). One of my fans took it extra miles and asked if he could kiss me. That was via facebook. And before I knew what was going on the young guy went ahead and uploaded his manhood for me to see. I was pissed up and threatened to block him if he ever tried such.
Tell us your kind of man
I admire a man that is Intelligent and dresses well. Most times I don’t consider the pocket, as long as the man has a future. I also like men who can make me laugh.
So how soon is the lucky man taking you to the altar?
Very soon; or just at the right time.
How was your growing up like?
I had a beautiful family, so my growing up was beautiful. We were seven in number, five girls and two boys.
Were there no challenges?
Growing up in this country is even an enough challenge. I have had time when I had no kobo with me. There were times I hawked on the streets of Delta State. So it wasn’t all that rosy when I was growing up. I hawked things like pure water, mineral, eggs, etc.
Were you not sexually harassed as a young girl hawking on the streets?
I didn’t give rooms for that. I grow up in a Christian home so I knew what moral was all about. I didn’t experience that. Like I said, I had a beautiful growing up experience until that particular period. And I took up the trading in order to help out my parents.  
You had a boyfriend as at then?
No.
When was your first relationship?
That was when I finished my tertiary education; I think I was serving then (laughs). I didn’t do such thing as a student. I had a growing up that was very Godly. In fact, the first time I put on trouser was when I finished school. So, I ‘vent even been heartbroken and I don’t even want to experience it.
So what has kept you going in Nollywood?
At the moment, acting is not really putting in much money in my pocket; so it’s the passion that has kept me going. I am also into modeling. I am photogenic so I decided to go for pictorial modeling, I don’t do runways.
What is the best advice you’ve ever received and who gave it to you?
My parents have given me the best of advices. My mum is the best mum ever and my dad is my best friend. If you see me and my dad walking you will think he is my boyfriend. I look exactly like my him. There is nothing I can’t tell my dad. I even tell him about the man in my life. So I have received several advices from them. They told me to always be myself and that I should know everybody in the world is not like me… because at a point I trusted people a lot, a reason I had so many disappointments.
Did you tell him the day you were deflowered?
I couldn’t have done that oh (laughs). I don’t think any woman does that.
Among female celebs, smoking and drinking have become very rampant; how often do you that?
 I don’t drink and I don’t smoke.  I relax by watching movies and reading my Bible, especially devotionals.
Like most of your colleagues, have also been sexually harassed?
Sexual harassment is in everywhere, including in the media sector. I didn’t succumb to such because I had a foundation. It is a big thing for me to give myself because I want to get a role. Do you know how many movies I do? So how many people would I sleep with?
What does sex mean to you?
Sex is spiritual and for it to be beautiful you have to be married. For the fact that people have started seeing it as a norm does it mean it’s a good...sex outside marriage is ungodly. God gave us the feeling, but he also gave us the ability to control it.
Are there people you look up to in the industry?
There are lots of them. Joke Silva is one of them. I love her so much. I watched her movies a lot while I was growing up. I see her as a real woman; she is just herself and a good model to young ladies.

 By JAMES EMMANUEL
jemedia7@gmail.com




3 comments:

Wilson Ometan said...

That is very interesting coming from a girl of the 21st century movie industry especially Nollywood at that. Miss Ovo' Danielz Gabriel's mien strikes me of a woman of the 50s but she is not, a young girl who grew up in the 90s Nigeria definitely must have seen the hardships of Nigeria's deplorable economic downturn but held her morals high with her strict Christian upbringing is certainly going placed. I think what she needs if there is any need, is her continued poise, seriousness and focus with her movie career. I salute her self respect and wish her success in all her undertakings

Unknown said...

Is she being sincere about being a virgin till after graduation? Do we still have such ladies? I think there is something she is not telling us!!! Today's ladies get deflowered either in primary schools or in secondary...My VIEW PLEASE

Anonymous said...

WOW such a nice journey Ovo from grass to grace.I am your friend on FB Tushar and am very proud to be as ur friend as ur such nice person very down to earth as you start from Grass.Keep it up until end God bless u always with this grace and more grace .Am wishing you a best of luck and a Happy New Year 2014