Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Why I call my wife my ATM Machine -MC Abbey

MC Abbey & wife

Multifaceted comedian, Abiodun Olapade famously known as MC Abbey has for many years remained sizzling hot in the Nigerian entertainment industry. Apart from putting laughter in the faces of seemingly unhappy Nigerians, he, as a Master of Ceremonies, has also hosted countless high-octane social and corporate events in and outside the country.
  In this encounter, he shares his odyssey in the world of comedy with us as well as other things you hitherto knew about him
You keep referring to your wife as your ATM Machine; can you tell us how the journey started for both of you
I met my wife during the Miss Gateway Beauty Pageant in which she participated and was the second runner-up. Ali Baba and I were the anchormen that day. I was at the back stage and she just struck me. I can say I was first attracted by her beauty. I introduced myself, but she said she was very busy and could not attend to me. I left but some weeks later, I met her in my church. She was leaving after the first service while I was going in for the second service. I called her and she recognised me but she wanted to dodge so I told her to give me her number. She gave me the number and I dialed it in her presence. I ensured that the phone rang while she was there, so that she would not deceive me (laughs).
What really attracted you to her?
Her beauty was the first thing I noticed the first day I met her. I observed that she was not just beautiful; she was a combination of beauty and brains. I did not make my intention of marriage known to her until we were friends for almost one year. I think I just felt I needed to know her beyond physical appearance. I noticed she was also a God fearing woman. In fact, when I made my intention to marry her known, she set up a meeting between me and her pastor.
Aside her beauty what other thing attracted you to her?
She is a good woman, a supporter, a helpmate and she believes so much in me. When I met her, the only thing I had was a foam mattress. Even that foam was borrowed. I remember I was squatting then.
Being poor then, how did you summon courage to woo a beauty queen? 
I did not hide my person from her. I was squatting and I told her everything but I kept telling her where I was going to. I kept telling her I knew I would be great; I would give you a good home and stuff like that. And she believed in me. You won’t believe that four months into our relationship, I bought my first car. Also I ceased being a squatter and moved into my own well-furnished apartment.
So how is she your ATM Machine?
 
I think my breakthrough came through her, in the space of four months. Anytime I’m broke and I don’t have jobs I tell her ‘baby pray o! Job has to come o!’ She would say it is well. If I’m troubled and I’m at an event, I would just call her, baby I don’t know what to say o. She would always say to me: “Go, kill them and come back” (laughs).
 
Why aren’t there so much break ups and divorces amongst comedians unlike other people in show business?
I think it is because we are people oriented thus our lives are more family minded. We also don’t take things serious the way others do. Not that we don’t have issues in our homes but the way we handle them will amaze you.
 
Tell us about your growing up?
I was born in Warri and grew up there. My mother is from Urhobo and my father is from Oyo. I had my primary school education in Warri, and my secondary school education in Abeokuta. I studied Psychology at the Nnamdi Azikwe University. My dad worked with Shell for 35 years before he retired. I am from a polygamous family. My mum has five kids and I am the only man amongst four girls.
 
What is the place of Psychology in Comedy?
Psychology has to do with understanding people, knowing their thought patterns, why they do what they do and the rest. Psychology deals with people, and since I am people oriented, it helps a whole lot. Psychology has helped me a lot with my career in comedy. It helps me read my crowd and relate with them. Psychology sharpens your interpersonal skills.
 
How did you venture into comedy?
 
I worked with Shell as a Safety Officer for a year and it was a very odd job. It just didn’t tally with my person. I wasn’t really enjoying the job, so I resigned to focus on comedy. I moved to Lagos and there has been no looking back since then. My good friend, Gordons, helped me start comedy professionally. He was meant to perform at a show but I had to represent him at the show because he had another engagement. After the event, people started inviting me for shows, and I started getting references too.
 
What does success and fulfillment mean to you?
I would say that I am successful when I have maximized all my potentials. When I must have achieved everything that defines me; at that point, I will be fulfilled. Fulfillment to me means when I do everything that I was born to do.
 
Tell us about your new comedy CD
 
It is entitled, “Comedy Street 1.” The CD is a compilation of 21 original jokes by me.  I decided to compile some of my jokes into CD due to popular demand by my fans in Nigeria and other part of the world and it will not be good if I deny them the opportunity. They have been very wonderful to me; without them, I would not be where I am at the moment.
What do you always tell up and coming comedians around you?
I tell them to focus on their abilities. They should discover who they are, fine-tune it and be original. I also tell them not to forget that comedy is driven and sustained by passion.


By JAMES EMMANUEL
jemedia7@gmail.com




No comments: