Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Kidney Failure: OJB finally opens up on the whole truth, plus why he married three wives

 Few days after returning from a successful kidney transplant in India, recuperating hit maker and musician, OJB Jezreel, is full of thanks and praises to God and the many kind hearted Nigerians that saved his life.
In this hearty chat, the entertainer from Delta State passionately narrated the untold story surrounding his kidney failure and subsequent transplant. He also talked about the woman that saved his life, why he married three wives among other germane issues.
 
 
Kindly share with Nigerians what transpired in India
In the first instance, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to go through any surgery. Most times, when you hear other people’s stories, you get inspired; people will tell you that when they got to the final stage, they were tested and ended up discovering there won’t be any need for surgery as initially planned. So, even as at when I got to India, I was praying hard for my case to be like theirs. I even held vigil upon vigils hoping that I may end up not undergoing surgery. But at last, they had to carry out the surgery. And one thing I continue to praise the India doctors for is that they are very thorough; very thorough in everything they do.
What do you think is the major difference between the Indian doctors and Nigerian doctors?
Nigerian doctors are also very good but the only problem is that they have limited facilities to carry out their jobs. The doctors I came across in India were very thorough; they continued carrying out different tests, over and over again until they were very sure of the results. It was after that that they confirmed the only way I could survive was through a transplant. And even at the end of the successful surgery, they had to be very sure about how safe my trip to Nigeria would be and that took them about four weeks. Sincerely, I thank God I didn’t return immediately because at a point water filled my lungs and they had to deal with that and another time there was this constant headache and pains on one side of my chest. At another point I even suffered from blocked arteries, so my staying back really paid off because if I had come to Nigeria, it would have been more complicated.
So how were you able to get a matching kidney?
We carried out test for about six people. Some of them really matched but at a point the doctors would find out one or two reasons why they wouldn’t be fit to donate to me. Maybe as a result of High Blood Pressure, High Sugar Level, etc. Others also had serious ailment that could damage their kidney. After sometimes, my family had to come together and said they were going to get tested so that they could donate for me. They did the test and surprisingly, all of them were matching. But aside just matching, another test was conducted to find out who had a higher matching rate; that was how my wife was picked. Being picked was not enough because boldness was also required on her part in order to go through the operation which required cutting her stomach down to her back through her spine…then take out one of her ribs. That was really scary because one of my friends’ wife that heard the explanation said she couldn’t do it. At a point I was not too sure of who was going to allow such operation but my wife said she would do it.
Who would you basically say saved your life?
The whole of Nigerians actually saved my life. Some donated money, others prayed for my quick recovery from the bottom of their hearts and of course my wives did their best. So I am grateful to all Nigerians.
So how do you see one of your wives that donated one of her kidneys?
Firstly, it takes a lot of courage to be able to donate for someone so I would say she is very courageous and definitely she loves me so much. Basically, I would keep saying she is a very courageous woman and I admire her courage.
What has that painful experience taught you?
You know I have been in business for about 27-years and I have found out that God has a way of doing things. What this sickness has done for me is not just about my life but has also helped to bring back my name to the minds of many people. It’s not as if the name wasn’t there, what I mean is that it’s now stronger, maybe as it used to be. I think it’s the hand work of God. Probably I had to go through this so that it could happen and it would be permanent. It is strange how the story of my ailment was everywhere including London, UK, etc. I even heard a story that in America, a guy who looks like me got so much attention from people and at a point, he had to tell them that he is not OJB. I’ve learnt that when God wants to reward you, it’s not how hard you work.
At what point did you discover that something was wrong with your health?
It was about three years ago and there was a 50/50 chance that I could survive without surgery. But when you keep treating something and it only gets worse especially when I had spent millions already, so I had to cry out that the rate at which things are going, very soon I would start selling my cars, houses  and other properties.
How would you react to the insinuations that your sickness is as a result of excessive smoking, drinking and womanizing?
First of all, I would laugh about that because if it were possible to put forth the results of the entire test I ran in the papers I would do that. The result will tell if I was actually smoking or not. I stopped drinking some years back. I think the reason the sickness was so serious is that I had been on diet since two years ago because I wanted to trim down. I also had High Blood Pressure due to the fact that I used to sleep by 12 and wake up as early as 4: a.m. because I needed to work hard and think of the next step to take in order to make things better. My dad even keep saying I’m a self made man because I don’t depend on anyone for anything. Everything I have, I bought with my money. But now, after everything, I have learned how to sleep in the afternoon and also sleep well at nights. I now understand that it’s not really how hard you work; it’s by God’s special grace that we all achieve our dreams. It’s not about how many times you go to church or how born again you; it’s just by God’s mercies.
How was your parents’ reaction to your music career?
My parents never supported my music career. I was supposed to be a Civil Engineer but I dropped out in my third year while I was in America College, London and that was when my parents withdrew all monetary benefits from me with the belief that it would make me sit up academically. Of course, I come from a very influential family in Delta State. Even at that, I chose to be a self-made man.  But to their greatest surprise, I started chasing music with all I had. Despite the fact that my parents were highly influential, I became a self-made man because of the love I had for music and my ability to work hard. I was 30-years-old when my name was properly established in the music industry. I was sponsoring some of the artistes at a time, even Tuface’s first album. My wife used to lap Wizkid then whenever we were going for shows because the car couldn’t accommodate everybody. That was about eight years ago. The truth is that most of the wave making artistes today are still grateful to me… They are very thankful for all the supports from my side, Wizkid even said that I’m one of the reasons that his career got better.
Which of the artistes donated the highest amount of money?
(Laughs) That is one area I don’t want to go oh!
So weren’t your families able to foot your medical bills?
I told them not to bother when they wanted to raise money. I said to them, ‘let me put my name to work and see what happens.’
We learnt that some of the cheques you were given bounced
Yes. There were people who donated bounced cheques, so many people. But in order to avoid making unnecessary enemies in the industry, I decided to shift my attention away from that. Moreover, if I start mentioning names, the media would spend more time talking about it instead of the actual thing that happened. As for me, it was a freewill donation so I didn’t expect anybody to do such. So many people came up and said they gave me this or that without giving me anything. Some came, posed and snapped pictures with me and I start reading on newspapers how much they donated. Most people even came out in the open to pledge some amount of money but at the end of the day, they didn’t even donate kobo. But I thank everybody for the concern.
What does it entail to be ‘happily’ married to three women?
(Laughs) Na only God fit answer that one oh!
Share your experience with us as a polygamist
I think this thing has to do with destiny. If you are destined to do something, irrespective of your status you will do it successfully. So I believe I was destined to have three wives. Funnily, when I was in secondary school, I always told my friends that I will get married; they kept laughing at me then. Ironically, here I am today with three wives. I can’t really explain how I found myself like this. But all the same, it has not been very easy and I cannot encourage anyone to do the same because one “woman sef na witch talkless of three women, if no be for God I for don run (laughs). I see things spiritually; if I had reasoned it physically, I for don run since oh. Even for strong man to live with one woman is something else, not to talk of three.
So how many kids do you have at the moment?
I have eight children.
Any intention of having more wives and children?
I don’t intend to have more wives or children. I have a happy family and my wives are very happy with one another. My first wife gave birth to three children; the second one also gave birth to three while the last one has two children.
Why won’t you contemplate on marrying another wife?
(Laughs) I have learnt my lessons oh. I believe I’ve gotten to where it’s supposed to end.
How were you able to convince your first wife when you were trying to get married to another woman?
(Laughs) It wasn’t easy. If I start saying it the whole pages in your newspaper will not accommodate it.
Having one girlfriend is even a problem to some of us; so how do you cope financially with three wives?
Financially, I have not been doing badly. I think I’m doing well.
Where are their states of origins?
One is from Delta, another one from Akwa Ibom, and the other is from Ogun State.
So how did you end up with three wives?
Just as I said earlier, I believe it’s my destiny; if not, I don’t think it would have been like that.
So what has this sickness taught you?
Firstly, it has taught me about the mystery of God and how powerful He is and I have also learnt how to stay healthy and live a good life. I have learnt the importance of rest because I used to sleep very late and wake up very early and that really affected my health.
Are there things you are working on at the moment?
At the moment I’m trying to establish my own foundation which is called OJB foundation. It revolves around helping people with kidney problems at a subsidized amount. I’ve already spoken to some people in India and we’ve agreed on some certain things. So soon, the foundation will kick off.
What about music-wise?
Right now, music is still very much part of me. But the direction of my music has actually changed because of my experience. I’m not just going to be doing what everybody is doing; I have decided to reposition myself-maybe as an elder statesman in the industry.

By JAMES EMMANUEL and ELIZABETH BASSEY
jemedia7@gmail.com
 
 
 

No comments: