Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Friday, June 20, 2014

Exclusive Interview: Wande Coal finally opens up on why he hid his lovechild for years

Wande Coal
In this hearty and explosive interview monitored by SHOWBIZPLUSng, music star Wande Coal speaks on a wide range of issues and also revealed why he kept his love child secret for many years. Enjoy the encounter.

 
What has been happening to Wande Coal?
I have been doing my own thing. I started my own brand, Black Diamond which is why I left Mavin Records. There is no beef at all. I would have done that when Mo’Hits crisis occurred but the love that I have for my other label mates then made me stay a while to nurture my own project; until I was convinced it is time to move on.
Any regret signing with Don Jazzy?
Everything I did with Mavin, I did it with love. There was no deal. It was strictly done with pure heart for a brother, and I stayed obedient till I left. I am happy now that things are taking shape with Black Diamond.
How do you see Don Jazzy now?
I love Don Jazzy and every other Mavin Records artistes you can think about. It is still a family. I am very grateful to Don Jazzy for what I am today.
What was your most exciting time with Don Jazzy?
I think it will be when I left Mushin and my first journey was to America. I had not spent up to five months since meeting them before they took me to America. And it was only me that went with them.
How did music start for you?
I have said it before. I went to dance in school at a show with a couple of friends. D'banj and Don Jazzy were supposed to perform but I don't know what happened with the organisers because they didn't get to perform. They just sat back stage. So Konga took me to D'banj and said 'Let's entertain you. This guy can sing'. Luck smiled on me after I succeeded in impressing the duo at the event in Unilag.
Did you ever sing in the church?
I started singing in the church. I'd been singing special numbers; moved from children church to teenage church then adult choir. You know the thing about music is that it is very hard to breakthrough. I thought dancing would pay off so I'd begun to major in dancing.
Did you know you would do music professionally?
You know, I come from a family of four including my parents. It was just hard. I had to move from Ijanikin to Mushin. I did all my elementary schooling in Ijanikin before I went to live with my grand mum. When I gained admission into University of Lagos, it wasn't easy. There was no money; I was just hustling. Well I'm sure I thought that I would get into limelight sometime along the line, but I didn't think it was going to be this fast.
Did you parents support your music?

They loved it. I had every support from my mum and dad. They were at my album launch too.
Why did you hide your love child for so long?
I had to do that because I didn’t want a distraction for myself. I needed to work hard for the boy. I needed to take care of my career and many other things. It was a moment that made me focus. All those things make me laugh today because it is a thing of joy.
Tell us about your baby and his mum
I have already announced to the whole world that I already have a five-year old son. I told them that I had the boy since 2008 before I released my debut album,‘Mushin 2 Mo’Hits’. I have been keeping it secret ever since then but think it’s high time people should know.
So why did you decide to talk about it now?
I didn’t want anybody to surprise me anymore. I needed to let it out because I feel I am not a boy anymore. I am a man.
Would you marry your babymama?
That is a personal thing I would not like to reveal now. Trust me, when I am about to get married you would be one of the first persons to know.
Tell us about your babymama?
She is cool, she is fine and she is the mother of my child. Please, I would not want to say more than this.

Since you have gone solo, how would you say your songs have been doing?

It’s left to the fans to say that. You know you can't just judge because Nigerians are not predictable but I have been making sure I am making good songs. But it feels good to hear your songs from different quarters. It’s everywhere and I'm very happy.
When would you describe as your saddest day since you started music?

There was a day I went off key on stage. I watched the video of the same show afterwards and I was feeling bad for myself. Don Jazzy scolded me for it and it gingered my spirit. While I was at Mushin, there was no money for recording. I was going to school, working and dancing at the same time but now I'm focused on my music business.
How far have you gone with your delayed sophomore album?

My album is almost ready.  I thank God for everything.  I’m happy I’m still relevant in the industry.  At the end of the day, I would release this album on Black Diamond label.  Don’t forget I inspired a lot of young artistes like Wizkid, Davido.  I hope I can still do more as I plan to sign new artistes very soon. The reason for the delay was because one artiste had to wait for another before he is released.  D’Banj did his album; Wande Coal followed and Dr. Sid.  So, I had to wait for D’Banj’s album.  After D’Banj, it should have been me but the company, Mo’Hits packed up.  And now, it is Black Diamond.
 
Can you still work with D’banj and Don Jazzy?
I can work with anybody I wish to work with now.  It is just business.
OMOTOLA OLAIFA-ENTERTAINMENT EXPRESS

No comments: