Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Friday, November 22, 2013

My problem with sugar daddies-Halima Abubakar

Halima Abubakar
It is no longer news that since Halima Abubakar embraced Nollywood, her career has continued to blossom, thereby making her one of the most popular faces in the Nigerian movie industry.
In this hearty chat, the Ebira, Kogi State-born thespian opens up on her love life, business, upbringing and other germane issues.


Let’s know the new things happening in your life and career at the moment?
Well, I have been alive and it is a wonderful thing that I am going with the flow. Whatever energy the time is bringing, I am going with the flow and my new movie entitled The Mistresses is out in the market.
How is it doing in the market?
It’s amazing and well received; I am grateful to God.
How many copies have you sold?
We have sold over 200, 000 copies of the movie right now. At first, we came out with 120, 000 copies and we had to reprint more copies. I will say it’s a blockbuster.
How much was spent on the movie?
Well, I spent a lot of money because I lost some tapes, which means more expenses because I called more people back for a reshoot. But I am not going to start counting how much I spent. I thank God it all worked out well.
Have you gotten your money back?
That is not how they do business (laugh). Business is not done that way; one gradually makes the money back.
Is this your first movie as a producer?
Yes.
It seems most actors are going into production now; will you say production pays more than acting?
Well, I shot this movie almost three years ago, so I am not going to say that I am just an actress. I woke up to produce, I have done that for a while now. I just released it because this is when it is comfortable for me to do so.  And of course, you know we all have to contribute in an industry that has contributed immensely in our lives. So I am not going to say that everybody should now come and produce. Production is good as long as you are doing it for the right reasons and for the growth of Nollywood.
Will you rate yourself as one of the A-list actors?
I don’t believe in that A-list thing, it won’t put food on my table at the end of the day. It’s just a title, so I really don’t care about any name whether list or no list, it’s better than no list at all anyway. I am just saying that it’s not my aim; I just want to keep moving forward. The audience knows where to place me.
A lot of your colleagues have been getting endorsements, does it not bother you?
I am sure that I have had more endorsement than them; it’s just that I have not had a commercial endorsement if that is what you mean. Everybody has his or her own time, if I get fine, if I don’t, that is not the end of my life. It’s a funny question to ask.
What makes a good actor?
I am going to say, it has to be in you. You have to really have the calling for it. Education cannot make you know how to act. One has to practice and that makes one perfect. Then you go and polish up your skill. If you are in theatre, it’s just a natural talent that you just keep practicing until it gets better. Most of the people who actually studied Theatre Arts are actually not acting. We need some of those people in the industry, if that is what you studied, if not, just be sure that this is what you want but trust me, it’s not an easy job.
Tell us about your education
I studied Sociology. I never thought I wanted to. I had been acting even before my secondary school education. To tell you the truth at that point, I really did not remember Theatre Arts when I was seeking admission. I was just happy that I was admitted to the University. I was a child then. If I am asked to choose now, probably I will study Theatre Arts.
When was your major breakthrough in the industry?
Everyday is my breakthrough. I don’t limit myself. Well, maybe in 2006 with Area Mama, White Hunters. Then between 2008 and 2009, I can’t remember because you know I have had so many good jobs after then. I am just going say that since I came back to Nollywood that was four years ago I have been doing well and I thank God for that.
What has changed about you since you became a star?
I don’t believe in it. Well, nothing has changed, I think I am more mature now. I take life calmly and so is my decision making. I am generally calm these days and it’s an amazing transformation. I went through a lot last year.
Who are your friends in the industry?
Everybody is my friend in Nollywood. I don’t even know where to start from.
You should have a particular person that you can share your problems or secrets with.
Is there anyone you can actually share you secret with these days? No, I don’t have an answer to that question.
Recently you bought a car and people are insinuating that a man bought it for you?
They will always insinuate. What is the name of the minister that bought two posh cars worth millions of naria or whatever? So why would anyone stress me over one little car that I bought. Someone bought an armoured car for no reason, so please they should allow me drive peacefully. Thank you.
To clear the air, who actually bought the car for you?
I bought the car by myself. I entered the shop and bought it myself. Is that a problem? Or do they want to know where I withdrew the money from?
If that is not what they want to know, I think it is nobody’s business. I did not announce that I bought a car, or did I? You have not heard me say that I bought a car? You probably saw it in the news like everyone else with me posing in the pictures and I was in the car so what else.
So when is Halima Abubakar getting married?
I knew that was the question, a typical question that I am used to (laughs). When the time comes, people will hear it. It won’t be a hidden thing, I may do it with no guest. I can do a secret wedding. I am sure they won’t be surprised but whenever Gods says its Halima’s time, then I’ll do it. But I won’t be pressurized by anybody because at the end of the day, they won’t live with me in the house. I don’t know what you are going through in your own house as a married man, you should not force me to get married and come out of the marriage.
Is there any man in your life at the moment?
I don’t know.
But your fans want to know?
They know, they really do know my reply. Seriously you should ask them.
Ok, yes or no?
That is what I am saying. I have no answer to that. I really don’t want to lie. These days I am really a changed person, I don’t want to lie to you that I am engaged or not.
Do you still believe in that word love?
Of course, why not? Oh common, there is love for everyone and there is a soul mate for everyone. You have that love that you meet and you will be like something in my heart just shifted and that is your missing rib. Definition of marriage is over rated and I think that people are putting undue pressure on their kids to marry. When they come out, they start getting upset for the money wasted so what is the point? You want to go and buy Aso Ebi for N100, 000 and then next year you see the person you bought the Aso Ebi for  is single again. Is that what you want? Please allow your children to actually know a man or the man having that time to know the girl before getting married.
No doubt, God has blessed you; you are very successful, don’t you think that is scaring suitors from you
(Cuts in) So I shouldn’t be successful because of that?
Any man who misses an opportunity to get to know me or whether as a fan or family is actually missing out a lot. It is not about bragging, when you know you are a good person, you don’t need to convince people otherwise, they will get to know, so I am not selective. I am just a girl who is careful about what I share, so pardon me if I am not going toward the direction you hope for. But I am just saying when it is love, you know it is love, and of course I have love in my heart. Well probably I have one, I really don’t know.
What does it take to date you?
I will ask the guy I am dating then I will reply you.
Then you are in a relationship?
I am saying that I don’t know if I am. I am just giving an answer. You will find your answer in between all the dribbling.
Can you get married to a divorcee or a man with love child?
Of course, is that the end of his life? No! You have to give somebody another chance. You can’t say because this person is a child, you can’t love the person or this person has been married before, there was a reason why that marriage did not last. Some of them lose their husbands or wives, would you say it is the end for them? No. But I don’t support the time frame of somebody recovering so fast from a relationship to another one or from the death of his wife whom he loves so much. You can’t tell him to get married under a year just to forget her. It’s a lie.
Correct me if I am wrong, most actresses prefer dating older lovers than their age bracket
Oh really, well I have not seen that yet. I have not. I have a dad and he is mature so I can’t imagine dating someone like him. It will be funny. I wish them luck.
Lesbianism is rampant in Nollywood, what is your take on that?
You guys keep on emphasizing on irrelevant things like marriage, age and lesbianism. I don’t have any answer to that; I don’t know what is going on, I don’t care.
What do you hope to achieve before the year ends?
I have two or three charity events that I am looking forward to. I have my annual December trips with the kids. This is my third year, I visit the homeless, I give out seven hours in a week to go and sweep or clean some of the places that I like to. By the grace of God, I just see this as a beginning for me and I wish you a beautiful beginning.
On screen you look very wild but in person you are so down to earth, how does that work?
I am really down to earth. People always say that a character should not define who you are. I am just an actor and at the end of the day, I become Halima Abubakar and return home; I take off the wigs, scatter my head and get real again. Naturally, I am not a fake person but some people will say because they don’t know me they will say that I am fake. But at the end of the day, people that know me, knows that I don’t attach anything at all in my life, it’s not important. The basic importance of life is to give love and receive love which I always preach so material things are nothing to talk about.
Apart from acting and producing, what else do you do?
I am a farmer. I farm, though I am not the one farming directly but I go there to see what is going on.
Tell us more about that
My farm is in Lokoja and precisely at Kaaba junction in Kogi State. I have a bakery, which is still running in Kano. What’s more, I buy and sell stuffs. I don’t see them directly, I have people who come to pick them up as soon as they get into the country, so I am into almost basic commodities comprising everything people use from tooth brush to detergent, I sell everything.
Recently one of your colleagues got deliverance from a church and a lot of people have been saying it was scripted, what is your take on that?
Any deliverance is deliverance. I don’t want to know where it took place. The most important thing is that, they are healed. So please, religion is a very sensitive issue that nobody should criticize. Nobody should condemn anyone for going for deliverance, they have a reason for going for that and I think that they won’t go for a fake reason. I don’t think that the church will take it likely or the congregation. Anybody that comes out to say that they are going for deliverance or th
They have been delivered, we are to believe them. That is just the truth, we should not play with God. I support anybody that is genuinely going for healing.

By  OLOVI OLOGIDE

No comments: