Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Friday, September 27, 2013

Flavour finally opens up: Crazy things female fans do to me







“Have you seen my beautiful baby?
Have you seen my tomato baby oh? (iyele)
Baby softly dey cool me temper ada
Baby na sugar sugar iyo…ooo.”
That is the mesmerizing first four lines of his latest single entitled Ada Ada, a traditional wedding song that is currently burning the airwaves and has become an anthem among many music lovers in Nigeria and beyond.


His journey to fame started in the year 2008, when he released his debut album, N’abania. The album's success was relative and limited to Eastern Nigeria, particularly, Enugu State. But after dropping two other successful albums- Uplifted (2010), Blessed (2012)-he indisputably became one of Africa’s most sought-after and celebrated artistes.
Entertainment Express went in search of the Ada Ada crooner and 2013 African Artiste of the Year (Ghana Music Award). After series of failed appointments, orchestrated by his frequent South Africa and other countries’ trips, Flavour N’abania whose real name is Chinedum Izuchukwu Okoli finally hosted EE in his elegant FESTAC Duplex. And within 50 minutes, he tells the unknown stories of his life. 
The aspect of his moving story that you will find most sensational was his recollection of how he ran away from home for eight years. Reason? His parents were not in support of his chosen career. He also revealed how thousands of female fans are ‘dying’ to have him and further added a shocker: “Marriage is not for me now; I’m still looking at four years’ time.”
This is the most authentic Flavour N’abania story as has never been read anywhere before.


In the Nigerian music industry, lots of people have begun to refer you as the uncrowned king of collaborations; how does that make you feel?

I think I’m on the verge of earning that glory due to the unique style of my music. The fact that most of my collaborations turn out good and are being appreciated by fans makes me feel great. In a every song I’m collaborating with anybody, I always try to bring in something new. I bring in my ingenuities into every song I’m being featured in. The truth is that I must always try to bring in something commercial. Something I know the fans and lovers of music would embrace and hold unto. I spend quality time thinking about the listeners and I keep trying to put myself in their shoes. I always ask myself, what are the fans going to hold unto in this song, even if it’s just a word or phrase? So I keep looking out for such word or phrase. And I just have to find it; I have to create that unique word or phrase. There is no way you will sing and be appreciated if you don’t appreciate the fans and put them into consideration while composing the song. If you don’t consider them you would end up singing and satisfying yourself instead of your fans. So what I bring to the table is the key factor in the success of most of my collaborations.

In your collaborations, do you just sing the lines/lyrics you are given by the original owner of the song or you try to add or change it totally?

I will not just collect and sing anything I’m given to. I must not sing what you ask me to sing. I would like to add my own creativity and ingenuities. Collaboration comes out good only when the two persons involve are bringing in something unique to the table. If Mr. A has a style and Mr. B also has a style, the combination of these styles would make the song a hit. On my own, I can’t just do magic. You must bring something while I also bring something. I can only do that magic maybe when I’m in the best of my moods. But the core essence of collaboration is to see two different artistes combining their styles. You tap into my fan base while I also tap into yours. For instance, Omawumi is good; she was the first Runner up in West African Idols 2007. She is doing well in the scenery and has done good songs. So in the song, Bottom Belle, she brought in something while I also did. The same thing applies to other collaborations I have done with others.

Since you got signed to a South African record label, Soul Candi, your presence in Nigeria has been infinitesimal; are your fans not missing your stage performances?

The real reason you don’t always see me around is because we hardly do good concerts here in Nigeria. There is hardly any big or massive concert in Nigeria; I mean big shows. What you find in Nigeria is more of private and company shows. There is no proper concert. On the other hand, I only signed a distribution deal with the label. And the deal only covers the southern region. I have intention of planning a proper concert here in Nigeria; something out of the ordinary.

You got your international recognitions while singing and shooting your videos here in Nigeria, why now rushing to South Africa for almost everything, including video shoots? Why?

I like South Africa. Most times I prefer shooting my music videos there. Nigeria is also good, but most times lots of factors disturb and hinder one from shooting here in Nigeria. I don’t like the crazy nature of Lagos. Most things are not the way it ought to be. So if I can easily shoot in SA without much delays and inconveniences, why not? You go through lots of stress to shoot your video here in Nigeria. That is why I prefer going to South Africa. Of course, I have shot some videos in Nigeria and I also intend shooting more. But I always prefer South Africa.

You were once referred to as Enugu boy before fame suddenly came. Do you still find time to travel to the east, especially Enugu?  

Yes I do. Travelling to the east, especially Enugu makes me remember my humble beginning. And most importantly, I don’t brag when I go to Enugu. I still go about visiting old friends even when they don’t expect it. There are lots of people over there that want to draw inspirations from me. I left Enugu, came to Lagos about five years ago. I’m here in Lagos because it makes me concentrate. I love the hustling spirit in Lagos. But whenever I want to chill, I still prefer Enugu. I’m like a hustler in Lagos. The hustling spirit is basically what I admire among Lagosians. Business wise, Lagos remains the bomb but when it comes to relaxing, ‘my guy na Enugu oh’ (Laughs).

There are lots of up and coming artistes and some others you started with who are still struggling; do you in any way try to extend a hand of fellowship to them?

I’ve been doing that. I have lots of guys back in the east and even here in Lagos who I try to help out. There are some that I decided to fund their music videos, apart from just collaborating with them. I also keep telling them to believe in themselves. As for me, nobody helped me; nobody gave me any money when I started. I keep telling them to be focused. I prefer creating opportunities for them to come out of their shells rather than just giving out money. How long would you continue to give out money? And most times, the money might be channeled into something far from the purpose you gave it out for. But all the same, I still support some financially; I still train some. I think that is a good way of giving back. I already have a foundation focusing on the young musicians. I’m going around schools especially secondary schools to discover and groom young musicians. At least I’ve been to a couple of schools, especially in the east. There are some I have decided to put under my label. But at the moment, I don’t allow them to record; I want them to be groomed first. Gone were the days when parents would start crying whenever their children chose the path of music. Apart from the young ones, there are two others who are officially on my label. I signed them about six months ago and they have already shot their videos and would be released soon. I also collaborated with them.

You said nobody supported you back them; share the story of your life with us and how your music career started?

I was born and bred in Enugu state. Enugu is my home. But I’m from Umunze, Orumba South LGA in Anambra State. From where I came from, there was nothing. I didn’t really set out to be a musician. What I know is that I was always admiring choristers in my church. I was passionate about singing and drumming. My pastor noticed it. He called me one day and said a friend of his just came in to Enugu and was looking for young musicians to train. I was 13-years then. Then I was already playing drums in the church. So the pastor introduced me to Chris I Ordor, the CEO of Sound City Communications. Ordor had just started a musical company aimed at training young musicians on the basics of music and nurturing them all the way to a professional level. He took me in. I couldn’t offer anything then, I was just learning. They even sent me to the University of Nigeria to study Music.  My parents weren’t happy. It was so bad that I had to run away from home. For eight years I ran out of my parents’ home. I only went there once in a while. They never wanted me to be a musician. My mum continued crying; she had no option. Along the line, when the company was about relocating to Port Harcourt, my mum said I must not go with them. Then I just finished my first year and was about entering second year. I had to stop school. But by then I had already learnt enough. I was already playing at companies’ end of the year parties, birthdays and similar events. When I left the company, I had to join my mum in Ogbete Market. She had a shop where she sold Jewelry. But it was not fun. She kept telling me to relax that I would soon take another JAMB and gain admission. Along the line, I joined another band and we kept playing at one event or another in Enugu. Anytime the lead singer didn’t show up, I would be asked to take over. Once I get onto the stage, I would tell them ‘N’abania ka ifeninegaeme’ which means ‘this night, everything will happen’. Sometimes, I would ask them the flavour of music they wanted. That was how my stage name-Flavour N’abania-came about. I was also backing Mr. Raw then. I didn’t really want to come out as an artiste. At the end, I just felt I could also sing on my own and the move to release a single began.

How do your parents and siblings see you today?

(Laughs) You should know! They are happy. They feel on top of the world. But I’m happy they did what they did.

Most of your lyrics and videos always talk about and portray women as sex objects; is that deliberate?

It doesn’t. It’s all about the music; it’s all about what my fans want. 

Why always the choice of busty and ‘big behind’ ladies in your music videos?

Maybe it’s because of the nature of the song.

But you seem to love such kind of women-ladies with ‘big behind’

I love women that look like African woman. I’m an African man, so I like African women (Laughs)

How do you cope with the avalanche of women that flock around you?

I admire and cherish my fans. Sometimes I see these fans and I tell myself ‘these girls are beautiful oh’ (Laughs). The truth is that I’m a man and I must appreciate women. But I don’t take advantage of them.

What is the craziest thing a female fan has done to you?

So many crazy things! I’ve seen so many crazy fans, especially outside the country. Ladies outside the country are even crazier about music stars than Nigerian ladies. Some would want to worship you. Some would see you and begin to cry. Some would kneel down and just want to touch you. So many crazy things that amaze me!  

Some of these ladies are gorgeous and irresistible; how frequent does the urge to ‘do it’ come?

I respect women. I don’t take advantage of my fans.

Considering your popularity, are you not disturbed that you might find it difficult to settle down in marriage?

You know the star thing takes away so many things from you. Firstly, you may not just get married like that. You must get married when you know you are ready for family life. You wouldn’t want to come back home and your son would ask ‘mum who is this man?’ (Laughs). I will get married at the right time. I’m still young. I’m not even up to 30-years. I’m still looking at about four years before marriage. I thank God I started my career early.

Millions of ladies at the moment would be praying and wishing to walk down the aisle with you; do you think the one in your life would be ready to wait for that long?

Yes, millions of ladies want me. Once a man is successful in anything he is doing lots of women would definitely want him. It’s natural. But the most important thing is that, one should not marry out of sympathy. Do you want to sacrifice your future simply because you want to please somebody? Do you want to take a hasty decision and end up suffering later? No. If there is any, she must wait.

So who is that special person?

At the moment it’s me and my music.  

Do you still see a future in the Nigerian music industry considering the low quality and nature of music in vogue?

Nigeria is so big. Yes there are low quality of jobs but there are still good ones. There are still people who are keeping it real. Yes, most times you see lots of artistes sounding alike, but there are others who are still unique in what they do. As for me, I will keep singing. I’ve already generated lots of fans around the world. At least, the about 24 countries where I’ve performed in Africa makes me believe I really got fans round the world. They don’t just like me because I’m a Nigerian; it’s about my style. Do you know what it means for your song to cross border?

In Africa, apart from Nigeria, which other country is your major market?

I have market in almost all the Africa countries. At least about 24 of the Africa countries where I have performed made me feel I’m appreciated. They made me feel I’m loved across Africa, even beyond.

You are among the few celebrities who are scandal free; how did you achieve this feat?

No artiste ever set out to have scandals. It’s always people close to these artistes that bring out some of these scandals. But the issue is that I try to stay away from trouble. For instance, I don’t even club. Anything I want to do I do it inside my house. I party inside my house. I record inside my house. When you start mingling and partying with everybody in different places that is where one or two things would start to emerge. I’m either here in my house or in my second house on the Island. When you mingle much, most times, you start trusting people that are not supposed to be trusted. You start having divided attention. You would take a picture and make joke with it and tomorrow it’s all over the newspapers and internet. Who did it? Is it not someone you trusted?

What are your regrets about life? Does anything make you shed tears?

Everything happens for a reason. You need the balance of both the good and the bad aspects of life in order to succeed. If it’s all good it may bounce back. You need the combination of both the good and the bad in order to remain focus. I really don’t regret anything about life. Everything I passed through especially in my early years is part of what has brought me to where I’m at the moment. I’m always ready to take life the way it comes. You need to welcome the positive and the negative aspects of life.

What is your philosophy of life like?

I see life as something we should all take very easy. I don’t take things too serious.

If you come across a young artiste, what kind of advice would you give him or her?

I would first ask him or her why he/she is coming into the industry. Is he coming in because he has friends in there who are doing well? Is he coming in because he has swag and wants to use the platform to show his swag or is he coming in because he is talented and feels he has something good to offer? If you are young and talented in music, don’t come out yet, go and learn first. Lots of people have refused to learn and that is why you keep having what they call ‘one hit wonder’.  If you come out without learning you may only manage to get one hit and that might be your end. Do you know the kind of professionals you are coming to meet and compete with? Can you cope? Can you compete with lots of talented artistes who can even play so many instruments? The only way you can compete is to learn. There are so many professionals so it could be very disastrous to come out without first learning. Spend time with musical instruments before any other thing.

Like how many of these musical instruments do you play?

I play the drum, guitar, bass guitar and piano. I play these instruments so well. And you don’t learn them within a year. Even a 60 year-old person in the game is still learning. Till today, there is no day I don’t play and rehearse with my instruments. You have to take it as your life. Even if I’m traveling, I’m always with my instruments. I spend about four hours every day learning and rehearsing. I always lock myself with my instruments. I don’t like going out. It doesn’t interest me rather I will just expose myself to things I don’t want.

Share with us what you are currently working on

I’m working on videos, videos and videos. I have three videos which I intend shooting and dropping within two months intervals. I’m not releasing any new song now.

Your Shake video parades lots of plus size ladies-curvy, busty and with ‘big behinds’; should we be expecting another video with such kind of ‘good-to-the-eyes’ ladies?

(Laughs). Off course, this is me. I’m very prepared. I will even give my fans more of it.

Don’t such ladies easily get you aroused while recording?

(Laughs)

How do you source these attention-grabbing ladies?

I work with my team. We share ideas on everything.  

Among all your songs, which do you think is your greatest hit?

For recognition, the song that brought me out is Nwa Baby. But the song I believe has made a serious change in my career is Ada Ada. When it came out, lots of people began to understand where I’m coming from and where I’m going.  Lots of people began to understand who Flavour is!

Ada Ada has become a national anthem, especially at wedding ceremonies; how did you come about the song?

I told myself that I needed a song that would be a wedding song in Africa. That was how the song came about. There is this similarity in marriages across African countries. I wrote the song. I started composing it a long time ago when I newly came to Lagos- two years after I came to Lagos. Then I was still living in Surulere. I told myself that it wasn’t yet time for the song to be released and that was why I kept it till when I finally released it. I have lots of other songs with me and I’m waiting for the right time to release them. Every song has a time.

Who is your closest friend in the industry?

I have lots of friends but I don’t really have anybody that is close. It’s all about business. I stick more to my old friends.

Some established artistes like you have price tag for collaborations; do you also have one?

It depends on the relationship I have with the person. The only artiste I ask to pay me for collaboration is the one I have nothing else to gain from apart from his or her money. But if you have a fan base, you don’t have to pay me; I tap into your fan base while you also tap into mine. Except if you don’t know what you are doing and you need me to ‘blow’ that is where I collect money from you.





  • By JAMES EMMANUEL

No comments: