Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Daylight Top 10 Qs: ‘I’ve tasted the sweet and bitter sides of love,’ Nollywood star/music diva, Jennifer Eliogu

FullSizeRender
Jennifer Eliogu



By AZUH AMATUS
In this enchanting and exciting encounter leading actress and music star, Jennifer Eliogu bares her mind to the publisher/editor-in-chief of Daylight.ng, Azuh Amatus.
The talented and complete entertainer also shared with your leading online newspaper the fond memories of her recent encounter with iconic South African Bishop and globally acclaimed elder statesman, Desmond Tutu, among other trending issues germane to her career and person. Enjoy the interview!

FullSizeRender(3)
Daylight.ng: What has been happening to you since your return from South Africa, where you performed for Bishop Desmond Tutu on his birthday?

It’s been amazing. Performing in Cape Town at the 60th wedding anniversary of Arch Bishop Desmond and Leah Tutu was another great feat in my music career. I was recommended to them by Mr. Victor Mbaba, CEO, Africa’s Child Trust, a foundation I performed for last year in Atlanta Georgia, US.
They appreciated my performance so much they had to ask that I perform again two days later at the thanks giving service held in their honour at their home town in Soweto. There I was also opportune to meet Thabo Mbeki, former South African President.

Daylight.ng: After the performance, what did Tutu tell you?

After I performed the first song “PEACE,” he asked his daughter to bring me to his table.
He hugged me and said bless you child. Peace that’s what Africa needs now, don’t stop singing that song. I was touched. I gave him my CD, and he asked that I give to other dignitaries on his table which I did, gladly.

Daylight.ng: And what was it like meeting and performing for the revered and iconic Bishop?

Meeting Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu was a privilege. I’m grateful to God for that opportunity.
Having him come on stage with his family and friends to dance to my second song was the height for me. I was ecstatic. His humility and compassion has left me awed.
Even as he is aging, he continues to fight for the down trodden and less privileged and continues to speak for the voiceless in his society through his foundation, DESMOND AND LEAH TUTU LEGACY FOUNDATION.
Oh how his people love him, you can tell by the way they came out en masse to celebrate him and were with him both at the dinner/fund raiser in Cape Town and at his hometown in Soweto.

Daylight.ng: Do you have plans of collaborating with some young acts in your music career?

I do have plans to collaborate with some artistes of the new generation and some veterans too. It’s a plan that would unfold as time goes on.

Daylight.ng: From observations, it’s like you are gradually abandoning Nollywood for the music industry, why?

Me abandon Nollywood? Never. That’s the platform that gave me relevance in the first place. The springboard. If you recall, at the time we spoke concerning this interview, I was on the set of a movie, that’ ll be my fourth movie this year.
Yes, I’m a performing musician full time (and I’m loving every bit of it)
And no, I would never abandon acting.

Daylight.ng: Which were your last Nollywood productions as an actress and producer?

I just finished from filming on the set of a movie entitled “Fool Me Once” from a budding producer, Peggy Ovirie. And I produced my first movie From Within, a beautiful story, well detailed and entertaining as well as educating.

Daylight.ng: When are you dropping your full album?

In this part of the world, you don’t drop an album. You release a couple of singles, promote them to a point where people are eager to hear the rest of your songs, when you eventually drop the album, they embrace it. I’m taking my time, trying to make sure I get it right.

Daylight.ng: How do we classify your genre of music?

I do a bit of a lot. Soul, R and B, High Life, Inspirational, Lovers’ Rock, Reggae and Afro-Pop.
I don’t know how you want to classify my songs, but I do know that I’m good at every bit of them.
I might eventually stick to a particular genre, but for now, I’m loving my versatility.

Daylight.ng: Do you sometimes feel threatened by the presence of younger musicians and actresses in the industry?
I never will be. We all have our strengths and uniqueness. Our gifts differ. At any performance, whether on set or stage, I leave you asking for more. In recent times a lot of my fans who say I’m a great actress are saying that I’m a greater singer.
I’ve been privileged to mount some big stages in the US, UK, Canada, South Africa and here in Nigeria, and after each performance you can see how much fresh air I bring on.
My music cuts across generations irrespective of age.
I see a lot of talented artistes out there, but do I see competition? Not at all.
I’m different, I’m unique, I bridge the gap.

Daylight.ng: What is the craziest thing a fan has done to you as a musician?

I haven’t seen the craziest. But once I was performing on stage with my band and I noticed that a beautiful lady at the front row was shedding tears. I didn’t understand why she was crying as it wasn’t a wake. She cried all through my performance and once I got off stage, she came and asked to speak with me in private. I followed her outside. She held both my hands and started to pray. By the time she was done, I was the one shedding tears. And then she said to me, this is what you were called to do, this is where you belong. God gave you this talent for a reason and whatever you do, don’t stop singing. It might take a bit, but I’ll be waiting to see you where you belong at the top. Now that was really encouraging.
The last time I heard such encouraging words with such surety was from my family.

Daylight.ng: Do you believe in love?

Yes. I do.


Daylight.ng: Has love been fair to you?

Absolutely. Love is sweet, it’s bitter. It’s Joy, it’s  sadness. it’s laughter, it’s tears. love is exciting and annoying, love is gain and it’s pain. And through it all, it endures. I’ve had my share of all it has to offer, so yes, love has been fair to me.

Daylight.ng: As a top entertainer what are the secrets that have sustained your successful career over the years?

The grace of God. Tenacity. Patience. Self confidence. Always optimistic.

Daylight.ng: Looking back, has stardom brought you gain or pain?
Stardom has brought me more gain than anything else.

Daylight.ng: Lastly, do you think corporate bodies are doing enough for the entertainment industry? And what areas do you want them to improve on?
No. I don’t think they are doing enough just yet. I would want to see them improve in the area of funding. There are budding talents lying waste in different aspects of entertainment. They need to be harnessed, they need support. I know an adage that says “put your money where your mouth is” but then again if they keep supporting the already established acts only, then we’ll never have replacements when the law of diminishing return sets in.
Nobody’s reign lasts forever, so while the stars are shining, they should invest on harnessing these raw talents to take over when the shine starts getting dimmed.
Copyright @ Daylight.ng

No comments: