Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Nabaka crooner, Jeremiah Gyang’s exclusive: Speaks on marriage, career and how he discovered MI


R-L: Jeremiah and MI

In this encounter monitored by SHOWBIZPLUSng, Nabaka crooner, Jeremiah Gyang speaks on why he has been off the scene for long, marriage, plans for a huge comeback, how he helped nurtured MI to stardom and many more.

What has been happening to you, why did Jeremiah Gyang go off the scene in such a jiffy?
I have been working under ground, working on a whole bunch of things. By the time it surfaces, you will see them and understand what I mean.
Are you going into gospel now?
I don’t think so. I am doing the same thing I was doing since I started music. I don’t like calling myself a secular or gospel artiste. What I know is that I will never do music that will not glorify my God. At the same time, I will do music that talks about other good things like love, peace etc. Music and my spiritual convictions are two separate things. Music is my job while my spiritual conviction is reflected in anything I do. My sound is pretty much a fusion of everything. It’s a fusion of sound from all four parts of the world, that’s from the North, East, West and South.  Asides that, I also do R&B and Hip-hop and any type of music that inspires me. The kind of music that inspires me is music with lots of melody and intelligence in it; good lyrics, great melodies, the regular stuff.
Are you fulfilled with what you have achieved so far?
I am very fulfilled with what I have achieved in music, through music and in life generally. My music career, me going on and off and all that have been my idea and mine alone. I am not under any contract or anything. I decide when to do music and I do it. I am very happy with where I am.
How did you start music?
I started music professionally when I was 20 years old. But before then I started music when I was six years old hanging around my dad and watching and listening to him as he was a musician himself. I learnt a lot from my dad and that started my love for music. Music came naturally as it was everywhere around me and it was very easy for me to catch on. I started music with song writing, then the vocals and finally instruments. I also learnt a lot from the church. I have always been a church boy and I’m still a church boy.  From being in the choir, I learnt a lot that prepared me for the professional life as a musician. My music journey began in the house of God where I led the choir as music director.
Tell us more about your father
My father, late Rev. Luke Dung Gyang was a revered and well known musician in Jos in the 1970’s and ‘80’s. His musical influence on me like I read somewhere can be likened to the influence of Fela Kuti on Femi Kuti. I learnt a lot from him and started playing the instrument before the age of 10. I started producing at the age of 11 all because of my dad.
Since your long break, how would you rate the industry?
Music in Nigeria is evolving and changing every day. It’s improving and growing and for me I think it’s only getting better. I really love where the industry is going.
Now that you are back, what are you hoping to achieve?
I personally would like to imprint my own signature on the music map of Nigeria and Africa and the whole world. I know my music is already out there and you hear my signature in it but I would like to take it to another level because the music I have now in circulation is just a tiny fraction of what I’m capable of. The music from the industry is so one dimensional. But what I want to do is set myself apart from them. I want to be different.  
What are the things you are passionate about?
I am passionate about life and I love people around me as well. I love cars, fast cars and I love technology. I love gadgets, especially little gadgets that do a whole bunch of stuff.
You said you are working on new stuffs, what are they?
After I released the Love Album I started recording new materials and starting working generally on different stuffs. I don’t want to reveal much, but Jeremiah Gyang has been working very hard for a comeback. Hopefully before the ending of this year, my work will start speaking for me. As per future projects you know my strong gospel influence has led me to work on a hymn project…It’s a background project so look out for that. I have a thing for movie soundtracks. Right now, I’m working on an epic soundtrack it’s like a fusion of violins and the local women’s fellowship instruments, everything all together, our local music and a western orchestra. That’s where I’m going to next with my music and I’m also looking forward to a whole bunch of concerts and tours.
Who were your early music influences?
As a child I loved and still love Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Tom Brooks, Stevie Wonder, Brian McKnight. Later I started listening to a lot of PJ Morton, Brian McKnight, Glen Lewis, Kenneth Edmonds, MusiqSoulchild and India Arie. These artistes have been inspiring me from childhood. I listened to them and I discovered that I wanted to do music. That is how far they influenced me.
Who are the artistes you would want to work with?
I’ve got Stevie Wonder, PJ Morton, Brian McKnight, Alicia Keys, MusiqSoulchild and India Arie. From Nigeria, I have already worked with the artistes I consider the best. Working with Asa was fun and one of the best moments of my career. I’ve always loved and worked with MI, I think he’s perhaps one of the greatest rappers I ever met. Then there’s Ice Prince, Jesse Jagz. I would love to work with Praiz, Samsong, Solomon Lange, Mr. Seth and Tiwa Savage.  I love her voice. I think she’s one of the greatest female singers I’ve heard in a while.  There’s a whole list of names. I’m also looking forward to working with Tuface.
Tell us about your friendship with MI
MI has been my friend since we were kids. His dad and my dad were best friends, so we automatically became best friends. We started music together as kids, with Jesse Jagz and later Ice Prince. I however started professional music before them. MI had to travel to school in America and before he came back I was already kind of big. So he started following me on my tours and shows. He sort of became my hype man and that was how everything started. He met Djinee and came down to Lagos and the rest as they say is history.
How do you feel with the level of success he has attained?
I’m very happy for him. I’m happy seeing him every day achieving his dream and doing want he wanted to do all along. MI has always loved rap and being a rapper. Right from our growing up days in Jos, he has always been passionate about Hiphop. Ice Prince, Jesse Jagz all of them, I’m happy for where they are now.
You didn’t mention Ruby Gyang, is she your blood sister?
Ruby is my sister but not blood sister. We just have the same name but we are not of the same parents.
Seeing MI, Ice Prince, Jesse Jagz being very successful in their careers, do you regret not coming over to Lagos?
Who says Lagos is the only place you can succeed and who says I have not being successful so far. I have been successful and like I told you earlier my career has gone exactly how I wanted it. I am still alive and working hard to be better and achieve more success. You can only judge me in years to come after I might have grown old and stopped singing.
You announced your endorsement as an ambassador for Nasco Biscuit and you were mocked on social media, how did you take that?
Like I said earlier, personal conviction should matter only for you. I told you earlier that I am fulfilled with where I have gotten so far in my music career, so what others have to say does not really matter. I didn’t pay any attention to what I read on social media because something more important has told me otherwise and that is my mind.
You have been married since 2010, how has it been?
It has been fantastic. Marriage has its ups and downs but generally, it has been a fantastic journey. I have a baby girl now, and it’s become more interesting.  
People said marriage was what stalled your music career, is that true?
That’s 100% false. I even released my first album after I got married. I released the album in 2012 and before that I got married in 2010, so marriage has not stalled anything. Nothing has been stalled actually. I am exactly where I want to be.
Tell us about your wife
Not much to say about her than that she is my rock. We have known each other since 1996 but started going out a few years before we got married. She is my wife and my Personal Adviser. She handles me both from the home and professionally.
 Are you still friends with MI, Ice Prince?
Yes, I featured in Ice Prince’s album last year, and they are still my brothers. The whole Chocolate City remains my people.
Does MI respect you like he should?
I don’t know how you mean by ‘like he should’
Does he respect you as somebody who brought him to fame?
I didn’t bring fame to anybody. MI is a talented rapper. The world has not even heard 30% of what MI has to offer. He got everything through God and his talent. I just had the opportunity to be where I was when he returned from America. I respect MI, and he respects me too. We are friends and nothing has changed.
Are you under any record label for now?
No, but I will be putting my music out under Chocolate City. Chocolate City is my home.
Where are you from?
I am from Jos in Plateau State and that is where I grew up. I attended my primary, secondary schools in Jos. I attended a Government secondary school before my dad opened a private school.
Tell us about your growing up in Jos
Growing up in Jos was fun and really shaped us for what we were going to do in life. Growing up in Jos gives you the opportunity to try your hands on anything when you are young. We were free to do anything as kids. Playing football, anything at all, we did it while growing up and we were able to do what we felt we were good at. I can’t wait to see Jos go back to how we know it to be.
Give us a rundown of your discography
I started in 2003 when I did a song with Mode Nine, then ‘Na Ba Ka’ (I give you) in which I featured Six Foot Plus in 2004. Then 2006 I did ‘Kauna Allah’ (God’s Love) with M.I on the initial version and in 2009, I did ‘In Love With You’, ‘Comforter Song’ with Asa and then in 2012, I released my album. This is what I can remember from the top of my head. 

STEVE DEDE- ENTERTAINMENT EXPRESS

No comments: