Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Monday, April 14, 2014

Tonto Dike is the most difficult actress I' ve worked with- Rave Nollywood director, Chima Okoroji confesses


Okoroji
With over a decade experience as a filmmaker in Nollywood, Chima Okoroji has over the years garnered strong claims to fame.
The young and dynamic director who learnt his trade at NTA has become a force to reckon with in the Nigerian movie industry.  Having made his Nollywood directing debut in 1997, the Imo State born filmmaker has finally created a space for himself at the top echelon of the movie industry.
 In this chat with SHOWBIZPLUSng, the filmmaker who is currently busy on locations in Asaba and Enugu, respectively, takes us through his odyssey in the Nigerian movie industry.

What are you working on currently?
I just finished shooting two movies in Enugu and Asaba, respectively. Their titles are African Bride and Night Nurse. I worked with names like Kenneth Okonkwo, Tonto Dikeh, Ngozi Ezuonu, Mike Ezuruonye, Branny among other stars in these movies.
How has it been for you so far in the industry?
It has not being easy in the industry, but we shall get to where we want to be. Nothing good comes easy.
When did you come into the industry?
I started first in NTA; that was in 1993 when I just finished my Secondary School. I had this family friend who brought me into NTA. I started working there and was learning a lot of things. It was exciting for me because of the passion I had for entertainment and drama. As a young boy I gathered so much experience with a couple of jobs working under some producers and directors. I later went back to school to study Theatre Arts. While I was still in school, I did my first job entitled Faceless. I shot the movie in 1997 and it was released in 1998.
What has changed in Nollywood compared to when you first started?
A lot of things have actually changed.  Lots of new equipments have come up which give better picture quality than what we had before. You also see a lot of competition compared to what we had back in the days. Now you see many people hungry to showcase what they have, unlike back then when you had just few set of people. The competition now has made a lot of people to be more creative, so that is an advantage.
 As a director how have you handled egos on set so far?
If I tell you I or any producer have found it easy, I will be telling you a lot of lies. It is not easy managing these guys. Sometimes I don’t want to blame them; I blame the marketers, because most times they handpick these so called big actors and actresses. I think it is high time we start producing new faces.
What has been the most challenging job you have done?
I have done quite a few, but the two movies I just finished were very challenging.  I flared up on set most times and became angry, but at the end I had to control myself.
Can you tell us the most difficult actor/actress you have worked with?
I think it is Tonto Dikeh. She is the most difficult person I have ever worked with in this industry.
When given an opportunity to pick a cast, on what basis do you choose with?
Some may have talent and may not have the character, which is not good, because without character, you are going nowhere. It is better to handle somebody who has a good character and an average talent. If you see somebody with character who is willing to learn, there is always a way you can handle that person and the person end up very good. Somebody gave these so called stars the opportunity to be where they are, but when they get there, it gets into their heads. For some time now, Nollywood has not been able to create more stars.
Are the directors not one of the people to blame for this?
To be honest with you, a director is being paid to do a job. He is the one who interprets the scripts and he is supposed to be the one who determines the cast. But we have had this kind of problem many times, because the producers are the ones funding the projects, so they feel they can dictate everything that happens there. We as directors are still fighting this cause, because you brought the money doesn’t mean you should dictate. As a director on set, I am in charge. Just fund the job and let me do my job. Though it is very difficult in Nollywood, I still don’t blame them, because it is not easy funding a project. But all we are saying is that we need new faces. A good script and story will always produce new stars.
By Nollywood standards, who owns a movie?
A movie belongs to a director, while the financial aspect belongs to the producer. This is one aspect we are yet to settle in this industry.
Why did you choose entertainment while you were growing up?
I watched the television a lot and had a passion for it. I was always watching soaps and dramas. My dream has always been to be a director. Most of the times, people ask me, why I don’t I act. But I always tell them, I want to be a director. I want to tell people how to act, dress and behave on set. I actually acted in Joy of a Mother, but sometimes I don’t even remember.  My passion is to be a filmmaker; I love being a director and I will continue to be a director.
Entertainment was not money spinning when you started, why did you still choose it?
It was the love I have for it; the love and passion I had for it then made me go for it. I grew up in Lagos and I think the environment also played a role in my love for entertainment.
Which schools did you attend in Lagos?
I attended Elizabeth Fowler Primary School, LSGS for my secondary school and University of Ibadan for my degree. Then I went to school of Journalism also.
What kind of child were you?
I was more of a church boy. My father was a pastor so I was very active in church. I was in the Choir and I participated in all kinds of activities also. I was always in church and I have always loved God. Even till now, I love God so much.
Are you married?
It is somehow complicated.
This answer is very conversant with people in this industry, why?
(Laughs) Marriage is not an ordinary thing. It is a spiritual thing. So when sometimes you dive into it, it will end up messy. That is why I don’t want to talk about it.
The industry exposes you to a lot of women, how did you cope with them when you started?
Women are humans just like anybody.  I was focused, so I didn’t really mess around. I came into this industry with a mission.
You started with soaps when you were learning this job in NTA, do you still do soaps?
Yes, I do. I even have one right now which is still in the studios. I also directed Next Movie Star. Someone just contacted me for soap, so I still do them.
What are the changes you want in Nollywood?
I would want to see love reign in this industry. I see so much hatred in the industry, a lot of beefs and backbiting. There is no love, and for us to forge ahead, we need love. With love we can initiate a love of things to move this industry forward.  What a lot of people are in this industry for is just to get the money from government not how to develop the industry. If this industry develops, it will be for the benefit of all. Money comes and goes, but when you put something down, it will go a long way. We should have had a film village by now. We suffer a lot to get locations to shoot movies. I know what I went through with the last project I did. Sometimes when we see these locations, they give us limited time and this makes us to start rushing the whole process. If we have a film village, you will be relaxed and come up with a good job. 
By STEVE DEDE

6 comments:

IFY said...

lols

Chioma said...

tonto again!

Lekan said...

this Tonto is full of drama

FESTUS said...

Nice one bro

Clara said...

Cant wait to c d movie night nurse

Flora said...

Good one