Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Monday, September 1, 2014

Why I can't quit TV/Radio - Leading OAP, Zika

Zika
Ngozika Eziagulu, famously known as Zika is unarguably one of the hottest female voices on radio in the country today.
Her distinct and sexy voice has been hugely admired by listeners and viewers on both radio and TV stations like OGTV, Star FM, Cool FM and of very recent, Rainbow FM, where she reigned and ruled for almost two years.
The lively and pretty On-Air-Personality finally moved to iGroove Radio, an Internet powered station, where she currently presents and produces the bi weekly celebrity programme, Just Jisting With Zika.
In this chat monitored by SHOWBIZPLUSng, the Anambra State-born talk show hostess, broadcaster and voice-over artist tells us the reasons she cannot quit radio, why she’s still single, challenges on the job and many more.
Tell us about yourself
Nothing much, I’m Ngozika Eziagulu but my abbreviated name, which has taken over my real name, is Zika. I’m from Anambra State. I’m a daughter, broadcaster and on-air-personality.
How did you find yourself in broadcasting?
(Smiles) My love and passion for broadcasting lured me into the profession in 2000. However, I started toying with the idea while still in school. I used to be in a drama group in the church and at some point really wanted to know the career path that would be best for me. So I went for counseling in our church and was advised to go for broadcasting.  Sincerely, my first audition in OGTV was a disaster. I was asked to pronounce some Yoruba names and I messed everything up. I felt bad and told myself that there’s no way I was going to be a broadcaster. I felt so terrible. I tried again the second time and did much better. That was how I started (Laughs).
I must confess, it was fun and challenging then because I was studying Mass Communications and working with OGTV. It was a tough combination that I really enjoyed. I was trained by Victor Olaifa, who was the Head of Programmes at OGTV then. He later became the Special Adviser to the Governor of Ogun State. We were made to write all sorts of things, most of them very boring. At some point, I got tired with the whole thing and just wanted to go on radio and do my own thing. That was how I started my romance with broadcasting. Later, a friend introduced me to voice-over and told me I could make money from it as well since I could read and speak very well. After graduating I came to Lagos and went to the Surulere office of Association of Voice Over Artists of Nigeria (AVOAN). I met a couple of nice guys there, including Femi Sowoolu who was the Head of Programmess then at Rhythm FM. I told Mr. Sowoolu that I was a radio presenter at OGTV but now in Lagos in search of a job. I asked him if I could get a job with Rhythm and he said a big no like I was not good enough for them.
He later advised that I should start first from somewhere and luckily for me, I eventually landed a job with Star FM and that began my romance with Lagos radios.
Did you ever work with Rhythm FM?
 (Smiles again) No, I never worked with Rhythm FM; I just have lots of friends there. I actually did something for Silverbird but not as a staff. I was one of the models in a competition they organized between 2003 and 2004. Although, I didn’t win, but it was a good experience for me. Besides, I used to model before but not on a regular basis.
After leaving Star FM, I joined Cool FM and worked with them for a while and co-hosted the Morning Show with Mannie. I later left Cool FM to kick start and nurture my own TV show, ‘It’s Our Wedding’, which aired on Galaxy Television amid rave reviews, while it lasted.
The programme was specially and specifically designed to allow those getting married feel like celebrities and super stars on their wedding day.
The reason is this, since people always like inviting and having celebrities at their own weddings, I also thought it would be nice, lovely and even memorable for couples getting married to feel and act like celebrities on their special days. I wanted to have ordinary men and women feel like celebrities on their own wedding days. We didn’t quite finish the second season because of paucity of funds. It was a very good initiative that I sincerely tried to sustain on air, but painfully and sadly, we couldn’t find sponsors. (Mood changes)
After that sad episode, I joined Rainbow FM and co hosted the Morning Show with Wellington and Elama. We talked politics, governance, state of the nation and other contemporary issues within and outside our shores.
 As a broadcaster, sometimes you have to do stuffs that you don’t really like, but it’s all part of the versatility on the job. I’m a social butterfly but as a broadcaster you have to be able to do everything from fashion to music to politics etc.  I did the Morning Show for a while and it was really challenging because talking politics was pretty difficult for me. You are not expected to smile or giggle too much. Amazingly, my part of the Morning Show was a bit soft (Laughs). After my stint with Rainbow FM, I came to iGroove Radio. At iGroove Radio I have been given the opportunity to do what I’m passionate about. The good thing is that Tintin (the owner of iGroove Radio) allows people who work for him to take charge and it has been wonderful working with him and the rest of the team here.
Where did you grow up?
(Laughs) I grew up in Lagos with my parents and siblings. My father is a music lover and he listens to all kinds of music. In fact, at some point I got tired listening to Fela’s songs in our home courtesy of my dad.
Aside my dad’s choice of music, I also listened to all kinds of music while with him. Looking back now, I think that has helped me a lot in the entertainment industry because sometimes you tend to like some strange kind of sound and people find it hard to compliment your age and your taste in music. I went to a missionary school, where I also learnt all kinds of ancient hymns and all that. God prepared my life to be who I am today. I had my OND at Moshood Abiola Polytechnic in Abeokuta, Ogun State and later obtained my HND at Yaba Tech, Lagos.
Interestingly, I combined work with school while at Yaba Tech too.
I had my primary school education in Anthony Village, Lagos, while my secondary school education was in the East. I’m a very proud daughter of Aguleri, in Anambra State, the current governor of our state, Chief Willie Obaino hails from my town.
What really drove you into broadcasting?
(Adjusts sitting position) Sincerely speaking, I never wanted to go into broadcasting; I never even thought about it. There was a time in my life I actually wanted to be a caterer, after a while I wanted to be a lawyer.
In the past, I also toyed with the idea of being an actress. That’s why I always say that you should always have people around you who can advise and guide you, people in church actually did that for me.
 What does it take to be a good broadcaster?
(Smiles again) With my experience over the years, I will say that it takes a whole lot to be a damn good broadcaster.
Being a good broadcaster goes beyond talking alone.
A good broadcaster must and should know what to say on air always. You shouldn’t only know how to ask questions, you must equally know how and when to ask the right questions while carrying out your duties as a trained broadcaster.
You should also know that you can be bullied on radio therefore, you must be mindful and conscious of that.
As a good broadcaster you should also know how to talk to your callers and what it takes to keep your listeners engaged. You need to love music, love entertainment and know a bit about any topic other than your core area of competence. You need to know how to use your voice. Again, you need to know your music and the right time to play them. It is not just about accent, if it is about accent you will definitely bore life out of your audience. You need to be creative in order to keep your listeners continually engaged. 
Personally I think today’s broadcasters are all about foreign accents, is that a good trend?
A lot of veterans listen to radios today and nod their heads in sadness. Broadcasting is not about the accent. We have lots of people today in broadcasting who do this job very well without fake accents. I think it is also the fault of those at the helm of affairs. There are some people you work with and get easily frustrated because they don’t understand what it takes to be a good broadcaster. They just think it’s all about talking. Back in the days, it was a professional job, the people at the helm of affairs knew how to hire people but now you have people who just employ people just because of their accents. We need to have more professionals in the industry.   These days, presenters make a lot of money unlike in the past that all they had was just admirers and nothing else. Now they make money from hosting events and other incentives and that’s a good thing. The new generation has been able to use their passion to get money.
You meet a lot of celebrities as a broadcaster, have you ever developed a crush on any of them?
(Laughs heartily) No, I have never crushed on any celebrity. I think it has to do with the way I was brought up. I don’t get crazy about people like that. Because as a broadcaster myself I have come to understand that it is just a matter of time. When I first joined radio I got lots of “I love your voice” compliments, but refused to be carried away. But a time came when such compliments reduced. So I see celebrities like that too. How many will I have to start crushing on? A big celebrity today might not be big tomorrow, so I don’t see the need in crushing on any celeb.
 How do you cope with the attentions you get as a pretty presenter?
(Giggles) Anybody can get attention. Even the ugliest girls around get attentions too, so I don’t see that as a big deal. It is all about keeping a cool head and remaining focused on the job. 
Have you ever had an extreme case of an admirer trying to get your attention?
Sure. That happens always. There was a particular guy who said he wanted my number because we are from the same village and I gave it to him. The guy kept calling and calling until I got fed up with him. When I tried confronting him to stop disturbing me with his calls, he got so emotional. He created a scene and I was surprised. He did that for like three months and I was forced to get on radio to tell people to warn him to stop calling me. 
Are you married?
(Laughs louder) I’m not married yet.
What kind of man do you want?
 Just a nice guy, a humble and nice guy will be fine with me.
What are you working on currently?
I’m thinking of doing some TV shows and a little bit of acting.
 STEVE DEDE/SE

No comments: