Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Monday, September 22, 2014

What I want in my ideal man - Single and sexy actress, Beverly Naya opens up


Naya

In this hearty chat culled by SHOWBIZLUSng, sexy and talented actress, Beverly Naya speaks candidly on a wide range of issues revolving around her private and public lives.


We would like to know what you have been up to recently?
Nothing more than the movie stuffs. Have a couple scripts I’m reading now and very soon I will be hitting locations. I also have a couple of films I have done that are yet to be released. Also, one of my soaps, a telenovela, Oasis from the stable of Zik Zulu-Okafor led Zulu Films will be hitting the airwaves in the next couple of weeks. My role as Paris in the soap was very challenging and engaging.
How did you start acting?
I started acting at the age of 17 years back when I was still in London with my parents. I was studying Philosophy, Psychology and Sociology but I wasn’t fulfilled with that at all. I wasn’t happy in class so, I decided to embrace the arts which involve dance and drama. I made moves to become an actress and I’m happy it’s working out now. I actually studied Drama in College for two years and I did really well in it and got distinctions for the few plays I performed while in college. I then took a three year break to University where I studied Film Making and Script Writing at Rodhampton University in London. I got a second class upper in Film Making and a First Class in Script Writing.
Why did you decide to come back to Nigeria?
I came back because I wanted to be an actress so bad and where else to start than the ever expanding movie industry globally known as Nollywood. I understood that the industry here is growing and there are so many opportunities for actors and actresses back home here in Nigeria so I just thought Nigeria was where I needed to be. They say charity begins at home. I’m just happy to be back home.
How has it been since you took that decision and acted on it?
To be honest with you, it has been good and even better than I expected. When I first came down to Nigeria, it was a little bit difficult for me because of the change in culture for me. It was like a culture shock for me, but I overcame that and it has been decent so far.
Tell us about your childhood days, where were you born?
I was born in London but my family moved to America when I was six months. I lived in Atlanta and Chicago until I was eight years old and then my family moved back to London where I lived before coming down to Nigeria. I am the only child but I had lots of relatives around me like my cousins who made it really fun for me. Growing up was fun for me.  I was brought up by a rod-sparing mother, who pampered me with the good things of life. I was the only child like I earlier said and I had my parents’ full attention. I and my mum are very close; she is my manager and mentor.
How did you get your first movie role?
All thanks to my mum who teamed up with Lancelot Imasuen to produce my first movie entitled Home in Exile starring myself, Desmond Elliot and Francis Duru. This was in 2008, while I was still in the university in London. So every time I was on holiday, I would come down to Nigeria to be part of one or two movie productions before going back to London. That was my original plan because I didn’t initially plan to relocate to Nigeria permanently. But later I changed my plans and decided to relocate to Nigeria to pursue a career in Nollywood.
Which of the roles you have played so far has been your best?
I can’t really tell you the best but my favourite is the character I played in the movie Stripped, the movie I did with Ramsey Nouah and Joseph Benjamin. It was an amazing experience playing that character in the movie because it has a huge variety of emotions.
What do you look out for in a script?
I’m always looking forward to a script that will challenge me; that’s what I always look out for.  If I don’t feel like it challenges me in any way, I am most likely not going to accept the script.  There is no point in doing something that doesn’t challenge you. That’s not how I live.
What do you hope to achieve in Nollywood?
I’m just looking forward to a time that I’ll become that big star and then I’m appreciated more than I’m appreciated now. I am not where I want to be as an actress yet, right now I’m just working hard towards achieving that. I am still growing, still learning, and still waiting to absorb as much knowledge as possible in order to be the best at what I do.
Apart from your mum, did your dad support your choice of becoming an actress?
Both of my parents were in full support. My dad embraces it; he is always encouraging and spurring me on. I’m just lucky to have both parents in full support. My mum is also my manager and she’s always there to give me the guidance I need to succeed in the industry. 
Tell us about your recent works
Movies I have done recently include Weekend Getaway which was produced by Emem Isong and directed by Desmond Elliot. There is Up Creek Without a Paddle,directed by Tarila Thompson, then Alan Poza and Stripped, the one I did with Ramsey Noauh. Recently, I shot Oasis, a telenovela with Zik Zulu Okafor.
Who do you look up to in this industry?
I would easily say my mum. I admire her strength; my favourite actress is Angelina Jolie. The other people I look up to are also Oprah Winfrey, for her philanthropic nature and P. Diddy for how he has successfully built an empire from entertainment. I also love Genevieve Nnaji. I met her and loved her even more. Ramsey Nouah is someone I have a lot of respect for in the industry too. He is like a big brother to me, my mentor.
How did you get into Tinsel?
I was working in Atlanta when I was called to take up the role of Yaya but at that time I wasn’t able to audition for it because I was very busy working on another project. But luckily for me, the producers were willing to wait for me. So as soon I came back I rushed to the studio for the audition. A few days later I was called to come and take up the role.
Do you hope to get hooked on the set of Tinsel, like some of your colleagues are currently doing?
(Laughs) That’s not what I’m looking for. I don’t think those who met there actually planned it. You don’t plan for such things; if you do it will fail. Allow nature to take its place.  
Maybe you are hooked already?
No, I’m not in any relationship but that’s not why we are here.
You have been linked with some people tell us about it?
I don’t know, you tell me.
Desmond Elliot?
Desmond Elliot is just a friend and a colleague. There was never anything between I and Desmond. We kissed in a movie and that was how it happened. For Christ’s sake that was just a movie and I was acting.
Uti Nwachukwu?
That was something I also heard and never paid attention to it. But its stale and old anyway, I don’t see the need in talking about it again.
What do you think prompted that?
I can’t be talking about that again.
What do you look for in a man?
You have to be good looking to start with; handsome and somebody who knows how to treat a woman. A perfect gentleman dresses well and fears God.
What do you think is your x-factor as an actress?
I think the confidence I exude. I think that stands me out. Confidence goes a long way in the way people look at you. I’m a winner and I always plan to win in anything I do.
There is this gist about you and the American singing star, Sisquo
Yes, that was when I was much younger. I think I was 15 and it was my first time in Nigeria. I was obsessed with Sisquo and he happened to be in Nigeria at that time. My mum arranged for me to be at the concert and I was fortunate to meet him backstage and I was speechless. I got to ask him for a picture and as the camera flashed, I kissed him on the lips. He was completely shocked by that. I was so happy only to get home to discover that the pictures were not there.
Who are your other celebrity crushes?
I don’t crush on celebrities again. I’m over that.
Have you ever been heartbroken before?
No, I haven’t.
What else are you passionate about, aside acting?
Besides acting, I can write script very well. I can edit, I can direct. I also love to dance maybe in the future I can do something serious with it. I just like to have a good time basically.

Entertainment Express

No comments: