Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Filmmaker Ogundaisi, needs N8m to stay alive


This is another sad news emanating from the Nigerian film industry globally known as Nollywood. Veteran actor, producer, director, author and known architect of the national distribution framework initiated by the National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB), Yinka Ogundaisi is down and currently battling to stay alive. In fact, he is lying critically in pains at the Ward B of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LUTH).
 Information at our disposal has it that aside lying critically ill at LUTH and living mainly on liquids, Ogundaisi can hardly walk without aids. He was literally ‘carried’ to attend a forum on distribution recently. He has lost so much weight and can also hardly talk. He even struggles to engage anyone in a discussion these days.
Medical experts both in Nigeria, India and the United Kingdom that have been on Ogundaisi’s case since February 2013, when he observed that his health condition was becoming life threatening, said Ogundaisi needs funds in the region of 8 million Naira to get back on his feet. The various test conducted and the most recent radiologist report indicate that the accomplished filmmaker and aficionado is suffering from ‘pathological fracture of 1.5 causing significant spinal canal stenosis’. The implication of this ailment according to Dr. Vidyadhara, the chief spine surgeon at Manipal Hospital, India, is that Ogundaisi would suffer ‘significant instability back pain by virtue of having a spinal fracture’’. In addition, a patient affected by spinal canal stenosis, based on a review conducted by Dr. Vidyadhara would suffer ‘significant pain, numbness, weakness in the lower limb which will make it difficult for the patient to stand and walk’’. Another radiologist report from LUTH puts the nature of Ogundaisi’s illness as ‘metastasis spine disease and intervertebral osteochondrosis with osteoporotic fractures’. Medical experts therefore advised that Ogundaisi needs to undergo surgical decompression and stabilisation of the spine at the earliest time. Ogundaisi was recently operated upon. ‘’I had hernia and then enlarged prostrate which is understandable because one is 60, but the surgery on the hernia has been done. Much of the problem is with the spinal fracture’’ he said amid hiccups. ‘’It gets complicated daily just as the pain gets severe. I have been on the bed for weeks now. I can’t even lie on my back. I have to do everything I have to do on this position. I seriously need help. Serious help. I don’t want to die’’ Ogundaisi, pleads. Although he noted that he has been assured that his case can be handled in Nigeria, but at a much higher cost, Ogundaisi said he has been advised to travel to India or the UK so his medical condition can be stabilized before it gets out of hand.  ‘’I want Nigerians to come to my aid. I am appealing to my state government, the Oyo State government to come to my aid. I have functioned as their cultural ambassador all these years and I have carried the cultural flag of Oyo State all these years. In fact, my traditional ruler the Alaafin of Oyo is ever so proud of me because of my tribal marks and how so well I am proud of it. They should please help me. I don’t want to die. I want the Lagos State government not to allow me die. I have spent all my adult life here working and paying my taxes. I need to get back and continue to contribute to the development of the state. I have received help from the Nigerian Film Corporation (NFC) and the National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB). They sent something to me, which is what I have used to offset some of my bills here at LUTH. But the more I stay here without any plan to undergo the surgical decompression, the more bills I will incur and the more complicated the case will become. I have spent all my savings and have sold all that is to sell just to be taken around but I need the help of my colleagues in the industry, my friends at the Ikeja Country Club and the help of organisations like the BOI and NEXIM that would still need my expertise when I am fully recovered to come to my aid. As someone who has had a relationship with them in recent time, they should see their helping me as a humanitarian gesture or even as their corporate social responsibility. I want Nigerians to please help me. No amount will be too small really. They must not allow me to die please. There is so much I still have to contribute’’ Ogundaisi, founder of the Global Children’s Theatre which was launched with fanfare in 2002 said, while struggling not to betray emotions.  Help for Ogundaisi, a member of numerous professional associations including the Nigerian Institute of Management and an accredited management trainer with the Centre for Management Development can be sent via UBA Savings account-2000204307, Ilupeju, Ikeja and in favour of Ogundaisi Olayinka. He can be reached directly on 08023244456.




No comments: