Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Monday, August 4, 2014

I don’t have crush on Nigerian celebrities - Rainbow FM’s Spycy

Spycy
In this encounter monitored by SHOWBIZPLUSng, beautiful and sexy Stella Dike, famously known as Spycy on radio shares with us, her on air story, challenges as a presenter with Rainbow FM, family and many more.
 
Why the name spycy?

Spycy is actually a short form of Spicy Star and spelt my own way. I am an on air personality (OAP). Spycy actually started off from Port-Harcourt and after a couple of years I had to move over to Lagos. It wasn't easy getting a job here in Lagos, but in 2012 I got a job with Rainbow FM. I host the day time show, Rainbow Lounge. We talk about everything entertainment, so that is what I do. My real name is Stella. I am an Igbo girl from Imo State. I am the only girl from a family of five. But I grew up in Port-Harcourt. I am a Port-Harcourt girl.



How has it been so far?

It wasn't easy, especially the very first year. It was tough. I had to find another use with my voice and I was introduced to a voice-over people and radio drama. I was also auditioned for movies. Although, I didn’t get the roles but all the same I did some things before I got this job with Rainbow FM.
 


How did you find your ground in Lagos, knowing very well we have a lot of female OAPs in Lagos?

While in Port-Harcourt, I was doing fine but getting to Lagos it was like a new ball game, totally different, the competition was massive.


 While in Port-Harcourt, who were those names that got you scared on Lagos radio?
In Port-Harcourt we were hearing of Freeze, Joyce, Toolz, Tosin Bucknor and then Olisa. So coming to Lagos, I took my time to listen to radios and all the voices from it and then I told myself I was in for it. I actually visited some radio houses trying to find something and somewhere to start off and to move into the Lagos market, it wasn't easy. At a time I was almost going to get into Beat FM, but they wanted to take me to Ibadan and I wasn't ready for that so I had to let it pass.

What makes Spycy unique as an OAP?

Every individual is unique in his or her own part. There is something you have and the next person doesn't have it. So, all you have to do is to find that and plug into it and use it. You may not be better than that person, but you are better at a particular thing than that person. So they are there, they have been in the business, so I am me and they are them. Spycy is Spycy and I will be heard very loud and clear very soon.

Did you see any of the big names as a threat?

No I don't. Even if I have to see or meet them one on one, I can never be threatened. I would rather want to learn from them than seeing them as a threat to me or my career.

We would like to know more about your growing up days?

I have a very strict father. You don't have any reason to bring back home a bad grade in school then, you have no excuse. Our fun days were around our books and nothing more because my Dad won't come back and not see you with your books. I attended Staff nursery and primary school in Port-Harcourt and it was in the same premises with Federal Government College, so from there I moved on to Federal Government College. After that, I went to Imo State University where I studied Business Management.


Why did you leave business studies for radio?
I actually get that a lot from people. Let us take it back to SS1, where you have to choose what you want to study. I thought about engineering as a whole. I just wanted something that sounds really cool to present to my dad and then I realized that I am not a science person so I had to come to business and it sounded cool. Then in school, I had friends who are already into the entertainment world, though I didn’t allow that affect my studies too.

How does your man cope with your fame and all the male attention?

Well, that means I have to confirm if there is a man or not (laughing). Well, I try not to date an insecure man. Most times, men could be threatened when you have a lot of fame at hand. So I have to stay away from those kind of men. 


What has kept you strong and going since you became an OAP?
In this industry, in this kind of job you need patience. In the last five years, I will say I have come a long way. At least I am not where I was as at last year which was 2013. And I am not where I was from the beginning of 2014 either. So I would say I am not there yet but I have actually grown.

If you have the chance to go on a date with a celebrity in the industry who would that be?

I was actually talking about this on my show, having not found a Nigerian crush. I grew up crushing on Michael Bolton, Morris Chestnut and Denzel Washington. But I have not seen a Nigerian that I can boldly say I'm crushing on.

Why is that so, is it that they don't do it right or you can’t find your kind of man in them?

I go out, I party but in Nigeria it doesn't come to my head. Really, I don't have a crush on any of them.


Now that you are doing this what's your dad's reaction, based on his stand that you must do something corporate then?
Then, I thought I had convinced him but I think he is not fully convinced, so that means more hard work on my part to be able to win him over.


What is that thing you think you can do to win him over?
 I’ll truly make him proud by becoming a household name and at the same time bringing home the cash.

So far what has your job done for you aside paying your bills?
I have got the chance to meet so many people I had thought I would never meet in my entire life. I grew up listening to Rugged man. And just the other day he was on my show and we were chatting like we've known for ages. Also names like Sound Sultan, Waje and so all. The job just brings you to wine and dine with the kind of people you thought you would never have the opportunity to meet.
ENTERTAINMENT EXPRESS

1 comment:

Free dating South Africa said...

A crush is harmless. It won't hurt to admit.