Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Saturday, August 9, 2014

I can't control my crush on Genevieve Nnaji, Rita Dominic - Mr. Nigeria


Emmanuel
25-year-old actor and model, Emmanuel Ikubese is the current Mr. Nigeria. He also emerged second and the most stylish of all the contestants at the Mr. World contest which took place in Riviera International Conference Centre, Torbay, UK, recently.

In this interview monitored by SHOWBIZPLUSng, the Delta State-born entertainer shared the memories of his experience at the contest, dreams, upbringing and huge love for Nollywood divas, Genevieve Nnaji and Rita Dominic.


Who is the man behind the Mr. Nigeria fame?
My name is Ikubese Emmanuel. I am an actor and a model. I have done a couple of movies, like MTV Shuga, I acted with Tiwa Savage. I played the role of Femi. Then I have also done short movies with MNET, one is Beyond Conscience, while the other ones are not out yet. I am also a model, presenter and a musician.

When was the kickoff of all these entertainment stuffs in you?
It all started when I was in school in Kenya. I school in United States International University, Nairobi, Kenya.  I studied international relations.  So, while I was in school, I was also doing entertainment. I started by organizing events. Then from there, I started doing music. So, far I have performed with a whole lot of Nigerian artistes.
The first step I took into the entertainment industry was modeling, then I started organizing events, then the singing, acting and others followed.


Are you a Jack of all trades and master of none?
No no no! I don’t want to confuse my fans anymore. For now, I am focusing more on a couple of projects that I am putting together as Mr. Nigeria and first runner up of Mr. World. Then my acting and modeling career follows. These I’ll be doing for now while I rest the rest, especially my music.

What is the genre of your music?
I do Afro-hip-hop.

Do you have an album yet?
Yes, I actually released an album back there when I was in Kenya. And I have opened shows for some big names in the Nigerian music industry. People like Darey, D’banj, Sasha, Basket Mouth and others.
Then my stage name was ‘9con’ (The Nigeria connection). I was like a big Nigerian star in Kenya. They really like Nigerian stars, so it was very easy for me to stand out.
After the shooting of Shuga 3 back there in Kenya, I decided to come home to see what I can do for myself here in Nigeria.

So when do you intend going back to music?
When I get to a certain stage, when I think I have established myself enough in acting and modeling, then I would give music another shot. I will take like one year off and do music, then bounce back to acting. I love performing on stage, so I won’t give up music. Lots of artistes joggle acting and music together, Justin Timberlake, Jamie Foxx, Will Smith, and lots of others. It is all about management.


When you were announced the winner of Mr. Nigeria, did you really see it coming?
At first, the main reason I went for Mr. Nigeria contest was because, I was having a problem with my brand. Some people call me 9con, others call me Femi Shuga. Lots of people don’t know me as Emmanuel, which is the real me.
Aside that, I had always wanted to go for Mr. Nigeria contest, but I didn’t have the chance because of my school in Kenya.
Bryan Okwara, the first Mr. Nigeria was someone I knew back in the days when I was in Satelite town. After he contested and won Mr. Nigeria, I saw a lot of opportunities and platforms it created for him. So I really wanted to do it too.
Even after I bought the form, I almost gave up in the last minute because I was just scared that I might not win. But my parents gave me lots of encouragements and pushed me forward. My fear was what people would say if I didn’t win, they will be calling you all sorts of names behind.
It was a big step of faith for me, I had to just do it and to God be the glory I came out as Mr. Nigeria 2014. As if that was not enough, I also contested for Mr. World and came second. It is indeed a huge achievement. I won the most stylish man at the Mr. World competition.
Being part of Mr. Nigeria was really a big stepping stone for me.

What do you think made you stand out among other contestants?
We started off with 60 contestants, later it was cut down to 20 guys that went to the camp. One thing I think stood me out was that I was just myself the whole times, then the grace of God. It is the will of God. He just wanted me to win, because I don’t really see what I have that others don’t have.

But what if you did not winner?
Honestly, I don’t know what would have happened if I didn’t win. But the fact is that I never thought about that. In everything I do, I give it my best and expect the best also. At first, I was having doubts but when I was fully convinced to do it, I became very positive and focused.
To tell you how positive I was, before I went in for Mr. Nigeria, I was already aiming at Mr. World. I was just so pre-occupied watching Mr. World video clips to know how to get prepared to face the Mr. World.

What was it like at the Mr. World?
It was great. I felt honoured to fly the flag of my country for the whole world to see. When we were in camp, they don’t call me Emmanuel, they call me ‘Nigeria’.  They don’t even know my name; they just call me by the name of my country. I am proud I didn’t fail my country; I made them proud as the second runner up. I also won the crown of the second Most Desirable Man in the World and the most Stylish man in the world 2014.

How true are the gay rumours in the camp of Mr. Nigeria contestants?
No! Not all. There is nothing of such. You know how guys are; so friendly and free. Honestly, I haven’t heard or noticed anything of such.

Guy’s thing? They are often naked together which might trigger some sexual feeling, right?
They were never a time we were naked together. We might just wear shorts and play football, or some other sports, that was it. There was no sense in all of that. At least, I am speaking for myself. Nobody looked at me anyhow. (laughs).
There was never anything like that. Believe me. We were all cool guys. Nothing of that nature.


What was her reaction when you eventually emerged the winner of Mr. Nigeria 2014?
Who is the she? My mum? She was indeed so excited; she felt amazing (laughs). Yea! My sisters too. They were so happy for me.

Not your mum, your girlfriend?
I am not into a relationship.  My last relationship was back then when I was Nairobi; we were together for a very long time.  At a point, lots of things were not going right so we decided to just call if off.  She was a Tanzanian. I had to leave her to focus on my career because it was more important to me.  All these happened like a year ago.

So since then, you haven’t tried another relationship?
Yes! I have been focusing on my career. It has been the only form of relationship I have for now. Probably, when I am more settled, then I can think of a relationship but for now, it is just me and my career.

Are you saying you haven’t had sex in the past one year?
I didn’t say that. I never said I have stayed away from sex for one year. Maybe I have a side chic, but I am not into any serious relationship. (laughs).  I have had lots of fun when I was in school, so I think it is high time I focused on my career.
When I meet the right person to settle with, then probably I would give relationship another shot.


As a handsome dude, who just won Mr. Nigeria and first runner-up Mr. World, girls would be all over you, how long can you stay away from sex?
Is it about the sex or the relationship?  As for the sex part, I can stay as long as I want to. I can stay even up three years or more. I am not saying I have done that, but I am saying I can if I really want to. It is all about self-discipline.  I am focusing on my career for now.

What are your pet projects?
I am working on a lot of projects, like Feed-The-Child project, feeding the kids from orphanage homes, on the streets and some helpless kids. It is going to be like a fun day with them.  We are urging people to come fund this project and help feed our helpless kids.
I intend doing that on my birthday which is coming up this August. When I am fully ready, I’d let you guys know.
I would also be working on a project against domestic violence. My own personal foundation is also in the coolers. I really want to impact on the lives of people because looking at where I came from and where I am now, I know it has only been the grace of God.
I was born and brought up in Ajegunle; it was just God that brought me where I am now. So, I really want to inspire other people in every little way I can.


What has the Mr. Nigeria fame done for you?
It showcased me to the world and I met people of different calibres. People that impacted on my life. It has really changed my life and my thinking.

Who are your role models in the entertainment industry?
Desmond Elliot, I am still looking forward to working with him. I have worked with Tiwa Savage and I really enjoyed every bit of the moment with her. I am also looking forward to working with Genevieve Nnaji, Mercy Johnson, Omotola Jalade and Rita Dominic, because these people really stand out.

Any crush on any of our female stars?
I used to have a crush on Mercy Johnson until she got married. Then I stopped because it is not good to crush on married women to avoid getting into trouble. Then Genevieve, Rita Dominic and Omotola too. I respect hardworking women a lot. I am still looking forward to the movie where I would play a romantic scene like a boyfriend to Genevieve or Rita. I really love those two.

How old is Mr. Nigeria?
I am 25, going to 26 this month.

How was your growing up days?
Growing up days was fun for me.  I am the first with two siblings. We were born and brought up in Ajegunle. In one room self-contain apartment in a face-me-I-face you house but with a very wonderful and supportive family.
My father is so great; he made sure we had the best of education. For primary school, I went to Early Life Primary School in Festac. Then I went to Kings High school before moving to Kenya for my University days. My dad went into lots of debts just to make sure we went to the best schools. That was the more reason I was hustling in Kenya, doing music, movie, model, events and all sorts to support myself in school. Till now, my daddy is still paying the debts he owed due to our education.


 ENTERTAINMENT EXPRESS

No comments: