Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Why we had issues with Sean Tizzle-Baba Dee


Baba Dee
Multi talented entertainer, Dare Fasasi famously known as Baba Dee is not your typical Nigerian artiste that constantly seeks attention and likes showing off.
In this chat, the graduate of Theatre Arts from Africa’s premier institution, University of Ibadan, takes us into his world as a professional entertainer and showbiz personality of over two decades. He also spoke on their then 'war' with fast rising act, Sean Tizzle among other interesting issues.

 
Let’s meet Baba Dee
My name is Dare Fasasi. I am from a Muslim family. I studied Theatre Art at the University of Ibadan (UI) and I also have Masters Degree as well. I am a simple guy, I have been around in the entertainment industry and I have contributed my quota to the growth of the industry.
 
 
You were out of the scene for some time, what have you been up to that kept you away for so long?
I was busy doing some things, I was still doing music and performing on stage and organizing events too but the event side is stronger.
 
Tell us about your growing up days
I grew up in Festac Town area of Lagos with the mind of becoming an artiste and thank God it has manifested now.
 
 
How long have you been in the industry?
I can’t really recall. I don’t really keep records of things like that, but I have been around for as long as you can remember.
 
 
The year has just started, how was last year in terms of achievements?
Last year was very interesting for me. I was able to release a new album. I also had some changes in my own career. I did much production and acting too even more in entrepreneurship.
 
 
You made mention of acting, do you act also?
Yes a lot, like TV and others too.
 
 
So aside music what else do you do?
I act as well.
 
 
Why did you transcend to acting?
I didn’t transcend, sometimes we do some things that people don’t know we do. I won’t be missing words if I say I am one of the pioneer members of the movie industry and the people that matter in the industry know that and they know my contribution to the industry.
 
 
Do you have your own production outfit?
Yes I have, I have done some works that are yet to be released into the market but hopefully later this year they will be out.
 
 
 
How then do you combine music and acting?
It is easy for me because it is still the same business. I have done television dramas like ‘Times of our Lives’. I also did two episode of super story.
 
How do you handle the challenges that come your way?
Challenges are part of the business. It is what we live for as artistes.
 
 
They are lots of up and coming acts now; do you see them as threats?
Any artiste that feels another artiste must die for him or her to shine does not know what he or she is doing. That person doesn’t know his act, the person is only joking. That person should just go and pray and look for another thing to do because the truth of the matter is that we have to respect the people that are doing well.
 
 
Do you have a brand or company of your own?
Yes, I am into event planning called Naija Ninja, we did the Sound Sultan ten years anniversary that was held sometime ago, and we also do small jobs too. I also have a franchise called Dance Hall 101. In Dance Hall 101 we have a mandate to bring a Nigeria representative to England to represent Nigeria in the competition,, so we have periodic dance events.
 
 
What is your relationship with your younger brother, Sound Sultan?
He is my business partner, my brother and my best friend.
 
 
He is a family man with kids, how about you?
I don’t want to talk about my private life.
 
 
 
Have you ever encounter bad press?
Not at all. I do things in a very organized way.  I don’t try to be an overnight artiste. I am an artiste and that is what I do, there is nothing to hide about myself. I have content; it is when you don’t have content that you like publicity. I come out on paper maybe when I want to do something, I live a very quiet life.
 
 
 
It was once rumoured that you dated an actress, how true is that?
I never dated any actress, they have never been such since I started, check well, and they have never been anything of me with any actress, none at all.
 
 
What is your new album all about?
It’s a very good one, the musical part of me is still coming. So, I won’t let it go just like that, Baba Dee has a new album coming up soon. It is a dance hall album, the album is out but I am restricting the presentation of the album.
I featured Vector, Sound Sultan, GT the Guitarman, African China, Nomoreloss, but the album is only online for now.
 
 Why did you choose online?
Because there are different evolutions in the music industry, I have been releasing music for a while and it’s always stories, I am actually getting money from the online distribution.
 
 
That is to say the online distribution pays more?
Yes, I think so because it is beginning to pay, we are trying to structure it properly in Nigeria so that everybody that has a stake in it can benefit from it. So I am trying in my own personal project.
 
 
 
You and your brother Sound Sultan had a fight with Sean Tizzle last year, how true was that?
There was no fight between Sean Tizzle and us, it was just a breach of contract and it has been resolved. He has been forgiven. Although, there are lots of issues in the music industry that the younger and the older artistes need to look at.
 
 
What does it take to be a good musician?
Right now we have so many people in the industry that are trying to be musicians.  They are trying to make a brand for themselves, basically that is what it is. Everybody wants to be a star, some people sing, some go as far as going to Big Brother Africa all in the name of becoming a star. But first and foremost, if you want to be a good musician you have to know what you want, and what a good music is.  It is just like life itself, if you want to succeed in life you have to sacrifice a lot.
 
 By: RITA OKOYE and EMMANUELLA OGADILIM-ENTERTAINMENT EXPRESS
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

john said...

you have been missed bro

dare said...

where have you been?

humphrey said...

Expecting to hear from you soon< music wise i mean

Anonymous said...

nice one bro

Fred said...

all the best

Steve said...

sad one

Anonymous said...

lols