Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Monday, February 24, 2014

Why I dumped acting for directing- Anayo Chimereze


Anayo
 His name may not ring a bell in the Nigerian movie industry globally known as Nollywood, but Anayo Chimereze is indeed one of those who have kept the industry alive, both as an actor scriptwriter, producer and director.
  In this encounter, the Business Administration graduate of Abia State Polytechnic shares his Nollywood odyssey.    


Briefly give us an insight about yourself

I was born in the early 70s at Otoko in Obowo LGA area of Imo State. My early days were in Ossomala in Ogbaru LGA of Anambra State with my grand mom known as Chief Mrs. Asazu Ifeyinwa Osaji and my grand dad too, High Chief Obumselu Osaji. My secondary school education was at Ogbaru Boys Secondary School, Ogbaru there too. I later studied Business Administration at Abia State Polytechnic. Growing up was tough; that is why I keep being grateful to God for where I am today.

At what point did you embrace filmmaking?  

I worked briefly with CFAO PLC before resigning sometime 2003 for full time showbiz. While I was with CFAO, I still sneaked into locations to act in movies until the time I decided to quit and face filmmaking after stints with modeling, and singing. I joined Nollywood as a scriptwriter, few years later, I started acting. I featured in 40 Days In The Wilderness, Civil Army, Fake Prophet, Mission To Nowhere among many others.

So why did you quit acting for directing

Along the line, I saw other things and my plans changed immediately. I had to adjust; there were many challenges. I noticed too that the money and stardom might not be too sudden. Merit and hard work were at times being neglected. Don’t forget I was always around Teco Benson all my days in the industry; so I leant a lot from him. I also learnt from Ugo Ugbor, Mike Nliam, Abay Esho, Prosper Egekwu, among others. I was always peeping into what was happening outside acting.

Like how many movies have you contributed to its success?

For now I can say it’s over 100 movies, both as a scriptwriter, actor, production manager, producer and director- I am not an EP yet but I will one day. I have done enough to be grateful to God for and I hope I have the strength to push on. In this game, I have been a scriptwriter, an actor, production manager, producer and a director. Even partly in other departments as props, costumes, locations, still photo, editing, cameraman, etc. My plan this year is to give Nollywood fans all over the world very good movies as a producer/director. Those that have worked with me know I have more than what it takes to shine in this business. Lots of people I taught the job are already flying.

What do you think is the future of Nollywood?

I can say the future is bright for those practitioners that work hard. Nollywood is getting into a high competitive level where if you don't work hard you get nothing. I pray Government gets to adopt nollywood and make things better and easier for us in the business. I see hope, I see a good future for the industry.


By JAMES EMMANUEL
jemedia7@gmail.com







8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes,I know u very well ur good in this business and a good actor too.....can't wait to watch movies directed by u.... Is ur Boy Godswill, PH cordinator 1st Lady Reality Show....

Attention! Be d next first lady in the
forth coming reality show/beauty pageant/awards, u
tink u got beauty and brains? U tink u av wat it
takes to be an outstanding woman? Den click
on www.the1stlady.com )... Open to all shapes
and sizes between d ages of 18-35. Audition will be
ON 2nd and 3rd of April 2014 IN Port Harcourt.
watch trailer here at http://youtu.be/2qzTMrE1-Ks *powered by MR CHEF* For more info call
The Coordinator ON:07062505552;BBC
Pin:213EB1B1. Pls Rebroadcast Tnks.

Anonymous said...

lols

Thomas said...

u don tire to act abi

Femi said...

After u don use all those babes you want upgrade to directing

Anonymous said...

who teach how to direct

Wale said...

abeg face your Acting bro

David said...

good one bro

Remi said...

nice one