Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Why I don't want to marry now-Nollywood star, Amanda Ebeye

Ebeye
Sexy Nollywood actress, Amanda Ebeye has not looked back since she joined the industry in 2008. She became a household name when she dazzled viewers on the set of TV soap, Clinic Matters In this interview, she shares the story of her flourishing career and reasons she won't be settling down any time soon.
What are you currently working on?
There are lots of bigger and better movies I’m currently working on. Lots are already released and so many others will be out any moment from now. Ladies Secret just came out; others like Ugly September, Market Babes, Devil’s Contract, Dangerous Silence, and so many others will be released any moment from now. So the year 2014 actually started well for me and I’m very grateful to God for that.
At the moment, your face is on so many movie posters; what is the secret?
I think it’s a result of hard work and also the God factor. Those are the two reasons it seems I’m everywhere.
When did you embrace acting and how has the journey been over the years?
I started acting in the year 2008 and so far it’s been challenging and enjoyable. It’s been smooth with some huddles. Nothing in life is easy; there will definitely be times when one would have a flat tyre.
While growing up, did you nurse the ambition of being an actress?
The truth is that, acting has always been on my mind. I had always wanted to act while growing up. Though I studied International Diplomacy at the Idahosa University, Edo State, instead of Theatre Art, I had always had acting in mind. Maybe I studied that because of my parents. But immediately I got out of the school, I decided to face what I was passionate about.
As at what point did acting start paying your bills?
Funny enough, that was last year.  Before then, I still needed my dad to support me. Most times it is not really as rosy as it looks. That is why you see some people doing lots of jobs (actors) and yet can’t boast of anything.    
Does that mean there were some movies you featured in without being paid?
Initially, I was more into soap operas. It was around 2011 that I started doing more of movies. Though I got lots of money from the soap operas but it still wasn’t enough. There were times I did about nine movies in Ghana but was paid for only five or four. That was in 2011 also. But after that period, I started being paid for every movie and it’s been great since then. The money was little at first, it grew, and now it’s a lot better.
People keep associating you with Clinic Matters; was that your biggest job as an actress?
Clinic Matters is a very professional job; one of the most professional jobs that I have ever done. Why Clinic Matters appears to be so big is because the producers got it right from the beginning. Jobs are not just about the casts, the stars in the story; it is more about the story, the director and the people you are using to depict the story, your location, etc. Lots of producers depend so much on the actors and that is wrong. I have done so many great jobs but some of them the producers or directors got one or two things wrong.      
How did your path with Clinic Matters cross?
I started in 2009. I was the first ‘Nurse Abigail’ ever in Clinic Matters. I left at a point and someone else was got to replace me.
Any intention of returning to Clinic Matters again?
No. I have been approached to go back but I have chosen not to. I am just not ready to go back. I love the production and I feel it’s the best sitcom on TV; it has a storyline that I admire a lot; the director is also one of the best I have ever worked with.
So why did you really leave Clinic Matters
Let’s say it was on financial grounds. The money wasn’t great at that time. I don’t know of now.
Do you still have unrealised dreams?
I want to get bigger; I want to get to a point where I can impact on people especially the up and coming actors. I would like to start a forum where I will empower and encourage the younger ones in the industry, telling them that they don’t have to sell their bodies before making it. We need to clean up the industry because it is filled with lots of people that are not supposed to be there. Again, I want to go to Toronto Film School soon to broaden myself in my chosen career. I watch lots of movies so as to learn, but I still feel the need to go there and study more.
Are you implying that you didn’t sell your body to get to where you are now?
I can say that over and over again; I did not sell my body. Anybody that said I did should come out and say it. It’s a wrong mentality that actresses sell their bodies for fame. I know lots of people who didn’t do that. We still have decent actors-the industry is not a dumping ground for prostitutes.
Are there roles you don’t play?
I play every role. But recently I’ve started rejecting some kind of sexual roles because I think I’m growing older and I need to start thinking of what I’m imparting on the viewers, especially the children.
But you were once quoted as saying you can play nude role for N7.5 billion Naira?
I was asked if I can act nude and I said no. The interviewer then asked ‘what if I’m being paid 50 million dollars and I said yes. What I meant was that, who is going to pay such money for any actress to go nude…Nobody can do that. It’s impossible. That statement means I cannot! The truth is that Nigerians are very hypocritical. It was just a joke and lots of people took it very serious.
But what is wrong in going nude?
There is nothing wrong in going nude to depict a character, but it’s against our culture. I can’t go nude because my culture does that permit that. But if I were a Hollywood actress, maybe I could do that because the culture does not frown at it. I respect actors that do it; I don’t frown at it and I don’t criticize them.  
Why is Amanda still single?
I’m not ready for marriage; I will soon be ready but I’m not at the moment.
But any man in your life?
I don’t know if the man is there or not.
But are you currently in any serious date?
No. And I’m not searching. When it’s God’s time, my kind of man will surface.
What is your ideal man like?
My ideal man should be a God fearing man; a man that will protect and respect me; a man that is highly knowledgeable, because I like to learn- if you are dumb, you can’t be my ideal man.
What is it about you that people don’t know?
Lots of people don’t know that I always love to have a bottle of coke around me and watch movies whenever I’m not shooting. Lots of people don’t know I am not the ‘runs girl’ they watch on movies. I’m clearly the opposite of my movie characters. That is why my mum is my best friend. If I were bad girl I wouldn’t have my mum as my best friend- my dad is my friend too, maybe not as my mum.
Tell us more about your background
My parents live in Benin, while all my siblings live in Canada.
Have you ever struggled with what to eat?
I don’t mean to offend some people, but the truth is that I have never had to struggle. I was lucky enough not to have...Even when it wasn’t rosy for me, my parents were always providing. My mum made sure I had every single thing that I desired. I feel bad when I see people struggling before they can eat...I try to encourage them whenever I see them. I love to encourage young girls; I love telling them to hold on to God.
Out of the Ten Commandments, which do you find difficult to keep?
I don’t want to say it. We all know the one that is very difficult to keep. I try so much in other areas but that one is very difficult to keep (laughs). We know it.
Are you talking about fornication?
I don’t know.
What does sex mean to you?
It’s a strong feeling for people that are supposed to be in love. I used the word supposed because it seems people that hate each other are now even doing it together. As for me, if I don’t like you, I cannot be sexually attracted to you. Even if you drop one billion, if I don’t like you I will not have sex with you.
When was the last time you cried?
I’m actually an emotional person. The last time I cried was in a movie (laughs). I cry all the time. I can cry when watching movies. I can see people being maltreated and I will cry.
You don’t cry when your heart gets broken by a man?
I think that was a long time ago. I have grown past it. I think I was 18-year-old then. I was already in the University…At 16, I was already in the university and I finished at 20…I didn’t serve, maybe because I was very unserious about it. I didn’t just want to serve.
That means your first boyfriend actually broke your heart
He didn’t break my heart; he traveled out of the country and that was how the relationship ended. I just moved on when he travelled. He is married now. He is one of the best I have ever dated.
Was he the one that made you the ‘woman’ you are?
No comment.
You sound like a saint most times; tell us some of your vices
I have a very bad temper; I am stubborn, but I am trying to calm down. Life has taught me to be patient. I don’t smoke and I don’t take alcoholic drinks.
What is your sexual orientation like?
I don’t have problems with homosexuals. I have lots of friends that are gays and lesbians. But I’m not a lesbian so no one should even bring it to me. It irritates me. But you can be my friend. That is my take on it. Even if you want to follow your dog, that is cool-I heard human beings and dogs get married now. Do anything but don’t bring it to me.
You don’t get attracted to fellow ladies?
How can I get attracted to a woman? It’s irritating to me. I see some ladies indirectly toasting me…Telling me, “be my friend”; we can even gist about your partners but don’t bring it to me.
What do you tell some of them that woo you?
I tell them not to bring it close to me. Some say they were born like that… I know it’s not normal for a woman to be attracted to a fellow woman.
Have you experimented with it? Or you don’t believe in adventures?
I believe in adventures, but not when it comes to my sexuality. They come after me, but no way.
What has been your Unique Selling Point (USP)?
Nothing special! It’s just me; my whole being. I don’t have boobs, I don’t have ass; it is just me, my unique self-nothing in particular.
 
 By JAMES EMMANUEL-ENTERTAINMENT EXPRESS
jemedia7@gmail.com
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

james said...

interesting

Anonymous said...

you no want marry now abi?

Felix said...

you re great

Ifeoma said...

love your movies

FRed said...

what re you feeling like?

Obi said...

nice one babe

Shola said...

you re turning out to be one of nollywood finest actress