Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

DAYLIGHT TOP 10 QUESTIONS WITH STEPHANIE OKEREKE-LINUS: ‘Why I shot Dry + How I’m coping with pregnancy’


Stephanie

By AZUH AMATUS
Unarguably one of the most gifted female super stars to have come out of Nollywood, Stephanie Okereke-Linus needs no introduction, in Nigeria’s Nollywood, where she is loved, admired, celebrated, respected and revered.
In this exclusive interview with Azuh Amatus, publisher/editor-in-chief of leading online newspaper, Daylight.ng, the beautiful thespian happily married to Linus Idahosa spoke passionately about her latest and wave making movie, Dry, visit to Buckingham Palace, passion for Nollywood, campaign against VVF, marriage, pregnancy and more.
Enjoy the rare chat with the cerebral entertainment ambassador and amiable Imo State-born graduate of the University of Calabar.


Daylight.ng: Congrats on the successful world premieres of your latest and wave making movie, Dry. Did you envisage the very huge turn-out at the Lagos leg of the very classy premiere?
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, a lot of planning went into the premiere of DRY in all the cities it was held. First in Wales, UK and then in Lagos and Abuja. Just like we did not compromise on quality in the production of the movie, we wanted the premiere to be not just like any other, but something to remember. I am very grateful to everyone who attended the premiere and showed their support.
 Daylight.ng: Dry is currently in cinemas nationwide, are you satisfied with the response you are getting from movie goers so far?
So far, it has been great, and it can only get better. Every day, I get feedback from people who have watched the movie and they have only kind and inspiring words to say. I get lots of messages on my social media pages, emails, text messages and reviews and I am glad the message the movie carries is resonating deeply among everyone who has watched the movie. For this, I am very happy.
 Daylight.ng: Is the Dry story a true life event?
DRY is inspired by the true life stories of several girls I have met over the years. Since I first heard about Vesico Vaginal Fistula as a student in the University, I embarked upon a research which took me around the country and to other African countries where I interacted closely with lots of young girls who had been forced into early marriages and had Fistula. Many of them shared their stories with me, which inspired the script for the film.
 Daylight.ng: No doubt, Nigerian and African women are faced with lots of family, traditional and societal challenges today, why did you pick VVF ahead of the other challenges facing womenfolk, any special reason(s) for doing so?
I believe God chose me for this particular project. I first heard about Fistula from a friend at the University who went to Jos and saw young girls with this sad condition. Since then, that thought never left me. I began researching within and outside Nigeria for ways I could help girls and women with Fistula. I lent my voice by collaborating with several organisations already doing works in this area and this later led me to start the Extended Hands Foundation which so far has given free repair surgeries to over 80 women with the help of corporate organisations. DRY is also a way to lend my voice to this cause and I’m glad God led me in this path.
 Daylight.ng: What is the core message you want people to take home after watching Dry?
I want everyone – mother, father, girl child, brother, sister, aunty, cousin – everyone in the family unit and the larger society to know that we all have important roles to play in the development of the girl child. In most cases, many people think it’s the parents of the girl only whose decisions are relevant, or that the government is there to make the necessary laws. DRY shows us all where we can contribute towards this cause.
 Daylight.ng: Why did it take you so long to shoot another movie after your debut effort as a director, Through The Glass?
I won’t say it took me long. DRY is more than just a film, it’s a Movement. A few years was spent on research and after the script was out, pre-production work began before production. Anyone who knows me would know I have a good eye for quality and this might be compromised when things are rushed.
Daylight.ng:  What was it like working with Nigerian and foreign stars on the set of Dry?
It was an interesting experience. I was very lucky to work with very passionate and talented actors from within and outside Nigeria who gave their very best to the movie. It was truly an honour working with each and every one of them.
Daylight.ng: Dry is an advocacy movie on a very serious issue ravaging women, how do you think the government and may be NGOs can collaborate with you to put an end to this scourge or reduce it to the barest minimum?
We are very open to collaborations and thankfully; we’ve had a few organisations that have collaborated with us so far, even since the production of the film began. Of course I know we can’t do it all. Some organisations have the man power, some have the research tools, some have the skills and expertise, some have the funding, and when we all come together, we can achieve more even faster. So yes, collaborations are very welcome. All you need to do is to get in touch with us.
 Daylight.ng: Why the name, Dry?
This is something that can be better explained if you watch the movie. But in a nutshell, a girl or woman who has VVF is often wet due to her inability to control the flow of urine from her bladder. This means she leaks urine often. The title ‘DRY’ is the opposite of that sad condition. In the context of the situation or condition the women and wet and they want to be “DRY”.
 Daylight.ng: You were recently in Buckingham Palace with your hubby for an award ceremony chaired by the queen of England. What was the experience like meeting the queen and what did you discuss with Her Majesty?
It was a wonderful and humbling experience. They approached us and my husband facilitated the meeting through his affiliation with the Queen’s Young Leaders Award. We were invited to the Palace for the Award ceremony where we met with the Queen as well as young people from across the Common-Wealth Nations who are doing great amazing work in their communities.
 Daylight.ng: After Dry, what next for you?
For now, I am focusing on ensuring the movie gets to every nook and cranny of the country. We want to carry the message far and wide across Nigeria and Africa and educate as many people as we can about VVF. Surely, more projects will come in the near future.
 Daylight.ng: How are you coping as an expectant mother?
I’m coping fine. God has been good to me. I am thankful for all the love and support I get from my husband who has made this journey much easier.  I’ve also had friends and family who have taken good care of me and I’m thankful to them all. My baby has also been easy on me and hasn’t been giving me much stress.
 Daylight.ng: Lastly, what has kept you going so far?
Most importantly, it’s God’s grace, Passion and determination. Also, the feedback I get from people who have been positively impacted by my works gives me that zeal to push even further.


No comments: