Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Monday, January 13, 2014

Femi Kuti's Bombshell! Marriage not for me again...Plus the real women in my life

Femi Kuti
Ahead of this year's Grammy, music super star and four-time nominees, Femi Kuti speaks to Entertainment Express on the joy of being nominated, chances of winning and why he may not attend.
The son of legendary Fela, also gave reasons he won't try marriage again, the real women in his life, why Nigeria is not progressing in the midst of plenty among other thought provoking issues within and outside the music industry.

Congrats on your fourth Grammy awards nomination?
Thank you.

How does it make you feel?


I’m very happy about it, it’s not easy to be nominated in America, the thousands of music that went in for the entry, mine was among those that were nominated I’m really happy about it.

Were you expecting the Grammy nomination?

No. I said the songs on the album are going to be great and nice. I think it was good to be nominated. When I think about my past, but then, when you are nominated, you are still in shock, the nomination still overwhelms you. So even though I felt I will be nominated in a way, I wasn't really expecting it again. So it still came as a surprise in a way.

This time if you don't win, will you lose hope?

 For one decade now, I have been nominated why would I lose hope. I want to emphasize, when I started music, it wasn't about winning awards, first and foremost, I wanted to play good music. I wanted people to love what I was doing, the recognition I have gotten in my career, to boast about it will even be an understatement. I cannot but be grateful and be overjoyed at this point in time of my career. If I don't win (pause) I will not be surprised, the other music acts in the group are very good. If for whatever reason they don't nominate me as the winner, I won’t even be disappointed. Like I said, when you understand what goes into nomination, you will be overjoyed.
If I win, it’s just the icing on the cake, but some cakes are still sweet without the icing. The winning is secondary, if I win of course, Nigeria will go crazy, it’s like winning the world cup. When I was nominated I felt like ten years younger.


Some school of thought, say that it’s only Illuminati members that win the Grammys, what is your take on that?

I don't know about Illuminati people o! I have heard about it, I don't know if it exists, I don’t care also if it exists. What is my business with it, so in that case, they should nominate Illuminati people abi? Why are they nominating me? People will always have their reservations in any issue, that is why it’s very important to always focus on the truth or the real issue or else, when you start to hear rumours and things, you get carried away. One can be carried away by stardom, which is why I said the nomination won’t make me lose focus. So I won’t say because I have been nominated four times, you will need to fill a form before you see me. Never, I will remain the  Femi Kuti  that people know me to be.

You have been relevant for years, what is the secret?
Hard work.


When do you plan to retire?

When I die.

Even if you are 90 years old, would you still be performing?


As long as I can play, why not, it will be a different era. Don’t forget, at every five years of an artiste, something must happen, you either fall or you grow, then every decade, it will be cemented that you are rising or falling. I don’t believe I will be able to play at 90, but at 90, I still hope, if I‘m alive and not a nuisance to my family I’m sure I will be singing. May be, my children will take over my band or I will be jamming with them once in a while of course, things would change.

How many albums do you have to your credit?

Nine albums.

Your collaboration with Wizkid how was it?
Very nice.

What is your impression about the state of the nation?

Sad.

You’ve never for once supported the government, why?

Government does not deserve to be supported, they are too corrupt, there is so much corruption. Let’s assume it costs a million Naira to do a road, and the government does that road and we are happy the road is done. But when you go into the budget of the road, you will find out that the cost had been inflated to100 million Dollars. That money they have stolen in making that road can go to health sector, education etc. We need to stop this corruption.
That is what my album, No Place For My Dreams says, corruption, oppression will always be there. That school of thought is what no place for my dream is about.


Don’t you think your criticisms of the government will deprive you a lot, especially corporate endorsements?

I have never wanted endorsement from anybody. I have been nominated for my fourth Grammy without any lobbying. I was the first Nigerian to win the Kora Award, first to win World Music, i have toured extensively the four corners of this world without endorsements. I still maintain the African Shrine, I still have my band, very few people can maintain their bands. I have been playing now with my band professionally since 1989, from my father then with my band since 1986, without endorsement and I’m still here. I’m also relevant not just at home but internationally. Do you know what is probably sad, the people in Europe and America know my music more than Nigerians. So, do you think I should now worry myself that I don’t have one of the multinationals endorsing me? Only very few corporate bodies are honest. Sometimes ago, I was in Bayelsa and they drew my attention to Jonathans wife's hotel, the whole town kept saying it, what came to my mind was where did she get the money to build this kind of hotel? What is her salary as a first lady? What business does she do?


How would you rate the current government under Goodluck Jonathan compared to that of Obasanjo?

No progress, they are one and the same. Listen to my song, Sorry, Sorry, then you will know where I’m coming from.
That song is more than a decade and people still make reference to it.
Is that not the irony of our lives, first of all, we went through a democratic process and Nigerians were happy. The president and most of his men were all ex uniform men, it was just their clothes that they changed and Nigerians accepted them. What kind of foolishness is that, these are the same people still dictating the pace of this country. See the last ASUU strike, for six months, students were at home, do you think it can happen in a developed country.

What are the challenges of keeping a band, has any of your band members defected before?

Many times, but if you ask me how I have been able to keep my band, it’s the same way you live your life, be sincere and God will be with you. You live by the truth. My band has broken up many times but I’m still here, they have absconded many times, but I’m still here. They said I won’t make it, but I’m still very much here. Why because I’m sincere and very truthful in dealing with myself. When I want to do something, I’m very truthful with it, I don’t compromise on truth. I don't cheat my band members or anybody, I pay to the best of my ability. Anybody that goes away from my life is because that person is too corrupt and can’t deal with honesty, all those that have left me no one I’m envious of. Anyone of them that has made it, must mention my name or my father’s name.

The OJB incident can happen to any artiste, what do you think is the best way to avoid such a scenario?

We don't have health care in our country, if we have health care in this country it should not arise, he could have gotten better treatment here rather than going to India. Why are we talking about OJB, is it because he’s famous, what about all the ordinary people in the hospitals that have nobody to help them. These are my problems because nobody talks about them, they don't even have one thousand Naira to buy drugs, that is more touching. If I need N10 million, people will raise the money because it’s Femi Kuti, but if it’s an ordinary person on the street, nobody will care, that is where the government should come in. Everybody must be important, no life must be taken for granted. So we must have sustainable health care service that the high and low can access, not only the rich and famous going outside the country for treatment.

How much do you charge per show?

I play free every Thursday and on Sunday, we charge five hundred Naira.

What about outside the shrine?

Depends on who is calling me.

You like relaxing with your children, how does that make you feel?

They love me because they know I love them, they know they are more important than anything in my life.

Some times ago, you said you will never get married again, has that vow change?


 No, I will never ever get married again, never. I will always emphasize it, I never believed in it and I don't still believe in it.
If two people love themselves why do they have to get married?

But you need a companion?

Did they tell you I don't have any, must we get married before she knows I love her? Now, I’m very close to two women in my life, mothers of my children, I don't have to mention their names. I don't want to put pressure on them. People know them and we are taking care of the children. We have our differences like everybody but marriage is out of the question. 

And they know about it?

Of course, yes.

And they are okay with it?

I believe they should be educated enough to know that, why will they want to get married to me?

It seems you have developed a thick skin on this matter?


No, I think I’m wise. Let me ask you a question, look at all these stars in America how many of them have kept their marriages? How many people are still faithful in their marriages? We just have a few. I like my freedom and independent, I can’t understand why a man should pronounce me and a woman as husband and wife, when I can pronounce it myself.

Your girlfriends don't have power over you?

Is that what a wife has over her husband?


What about female fans, who want you attention?

Of course, they will have their jealous moments, life is a learning process, I can never tell you I have a perfect relationship. Of course, they won’t like many things I do, but they will have to live with it or get away or out, it’s simple.

The last time you were nominated for the Grammys awards, you did not attend, will you be going for this one?

Probably not, it depends on a lot of issues here. I have six children, including the four I adopted. I hate to leave them. I hate it.

When you go on tours outside the country, do you take them?


A lot of preparations...you see, when I’m not in town my sister is in town. Now during the Grammys, my sister is traveling, two of us cannot be out of town at the same time. This place, (Africa Shrine) will be disarray. So I’m pleading with her to represent me at the Grammys.

Why do you keep to yourself a lot?

I like peace, I love my peace.
Don't you see the love around me, see my beautiful kids, I can i be bored. Won’t I enjoy them before they all live me. My older son now is gone, he’s 18 years of age, we hardly see now, he’s going to get married, I’m I going to move in with his wife?
Are any of your children following your steps?
Probably all of them, they all show sign of music.
When one is getting older he’s or her sexual life reduces, is it also applicable to you?
I can say to you that when I was much younger sex used to dictate my life, now is the reverse. All I have to do now is to ask them, are you ready to have more babies? Who is going to pay their school fees? My mind will quickly reverse and think about more important things (laughs).
Do you still use condom?
I have the same partner, so why should I.  
 
 BY OLOVI OLOGIDE
 
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

u don try na. u suppose don belle full. bros hang ur booth.

Anonymous said...

woman no suppose be ur concern now. focus on winning grammy bros.