Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Friday, May 9, 2014

Day a female fan danced naked with me on stage -Belgian-based Nigerian act, Ray Blaze

Ray Blaze
In this hearty interview with SHOWBIZPLUSng, Nigerian-born hip hop singer, Ray Blaze, reveals why he's giving music his all.
The Belgium-based act also opened up on the day a crazy female fan danced almost naked with him on stage among other interesting issues.

Can we get to meet you formally and what’s your real name?
My name is Ray Blaze. Like Raymond Blaze but my real name is Oloriegbe Oluwatoyin Emmanuel. Oloriegbe means head of group. I am from Edo State Nigeria. Akoko Edo Local Government Area to be precise.
How long have you been into music?
For a very long time, I started singing when I was very little in the choir then. I played instruments in my church choir such as drums, piano, but professionally I have been into music for four years now.
There are other things you could have done why the choice of music?
It has always been a hobby for me; I just felt there was nothing else I could do better other than music so I just continued doing music.
Do you have any single(s) to you credit?
I have a couple of singles, as a matter of fact, I have a new single that is out and entitled ‘Fine Girls’ featuring Dr.Cryme from Ghana. The song is doing great in Ghana; I will be bringing it to Nigeria very soon.
Before’ Fine Girls’ what other songs have you done?
I did 'You go wound', 'Life na jeje' which actually aired on a lot of radio stations here in Nigeria, and a couple of other singles.
Are you based in Belgium or you shuttle between Nigeria and Belgium?
I am based in Belgium but I shuttle between Nigeria and Belgium, however, I am mostly around though.
How do you cope with your music there in Belgium because the language there is different?
I don’t want to do Nigerian music; I do the Nigeria music for my Nigerian people and more of general music for everybody.
How did your journey to Belgium begin?
My family is based there. My mum wanted me around her, I moved to Belgium when I was still little but now I think I am old enough to decide for myself.
How would you rate music over there and back home in Nigeria?
There is a very big difference; music over here is at climax while the one over there is still growing. They are more organized in terms of copyrights, but in terms of shows and having the buzz as an artiste; it is not too much over there in Belgium not like the States.
What inspired the song Fine Girls; because that is what is in vogue right now, everybody is doing something on girls?
Nothing too special, we were just having fun in the studio and Dr. Cryme was around. He was on tour in Belgium and we were hanging out. We got to the studio, they played the beat and that was actually the first thing that came into my head. That was how we dropped the single ‘Fine Girls’. And it is doing good, girls really like it. The guys also like it because they can sing it to their girlfriends.
What was your parents’ reaction when you told them you wanted to do music?
To be sincere, they almost rejected me with so many judgments, like artistes take drugs; move around with lots of women and not having a stable life. But I will say this whole thing became a reality with the intervention of my father, because he was also a musician while growing up. They both had a good discussion and she had to let me do my thing, now my mum is a strong pillar, she supports me all the way.  She told me to go for it and make sure you are on the right track, which is actually the most important thing in this industry, because a lot of people still believe they can do whatever they want to do but trust me you can still lose focus.
Your mum said artistes are on drugs, move around with lots of girls; so tell us how many girls you move around with?
It is true there will definitely be girls around you.  You just have to know how to handle them; you don’t take advantage of your position on girls. I don’t do that, of course, every ladies man will want to do that, every man who feels the ladies are attracted to him will want to do that.  Ladies can’t kill me in this industry and that is one thing I have at the back of my mind. They will come around and I know how to make them feel loved, happy and smile.
So how does your girlfriend cope with all the ladies around you?
Of course, she understands what I am doing.
How long have you been dating?
That’s if I am truly dating, because for now my girlfriend is music.
If your girlfriend is truly music how then do you cope as a guy?
Well, let me put it straight and clear, for now nothing serious about relationships for me, so there is nothing I consider serious other than my music.
So you are just playing with the girls because you don’t want a serious relationship?
Not playing with them, but of course you will definitely have girls around you but it depends on how you make them feel that will show if you are truly serious.
What are the challenges you are facing as a young artiste who is new in the industry?
I just want to be true to myself, listen to my heart. I speak to myself before making any move. Because there are a lot of artistes who already have the buzz in this industry and just a phone call from them, their song is going to overshadow your song.
Who are your role models?
I see Tuface as a big brother and model; I grew up listening to Plantashun Boiz, Eedris Abudulkarem, they are all my role models, they did a lot of good jobs. Tuface did not just sing for the girls or for the money he sang songs that made sense, and I also love Cobhams. The Nigerian industry is actually my inspiration and I am hoping to be able to be a contributor.
You’ve done some collaborations, which other artistes are you looking forward to working with?
I will like to do collaborations with people like Tuface, Wizkid and Davido. I will like to move this music thing to the next level.
Where do you see yourself, let’s say five years from now?
I want to see myself as a C.E.O with a lot of artistes growing under me.
Any crush on any female celebrity?
 Of course, I do. Tonto Dikeh; I just like her, her crazy style, she is a goal getter regardless of what people think about her. We both share the same insights; she does things that pleases her even if hundred people are not listening. There are a lot of things going on around her but that lady is still waxing stronger.
 
What kind of music do you do?
Afro-centric, R&B and electro, I do electro in Belgium because in Belgium we have electronic music and not R&B, just like I am doing Afro-centric too.
Aside music, what else do you do?
Aside music, I am a sound and light engineer that is what I read in school.
Does it pay your bills?
Yes it does pay my bills in Belgium; I work as a sound engineer in my free time. I work with big artistes from the states who come to Belgium to fix their sounds and lights on stage.
Do you intend doing other stuffs outside music?
Yes, but right now it is still music for me. Though I have lot of ideas coming, but you know you need a stepping stone to take you up.
  You have dropped ‘Fine Girls’ in Belgium, when is the Nigerian version dropping?
It has not dropped in Belgium yet, we are working towards a release in Nigeria. We actually did the first radio premiere on Eko FM and lots of other radio stations are going to pick it up soon. We are discussing with Soundcity and HipTv for supports.
What is that craziest thing a female fan has done to you?
I had a show and brought a girl up to dance with me and she was really in the mood as we were dancing but before I knew it, the girl released her belt. And her pant immediately went down. The security had to come in to save the situation. This happened in Belgium.
You felt embarrassed?
Yes I was, I actually thought she was some decent girl I never believed she could go that far. She started really slowly and before I knew it she started with my belt and I was like no way, don’t do that to me.
How will you define yourself?
I am a goal getter, I don’t quit.

No comments: