Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Comedy has made me a multi-millionaire-Elenu

Elenu
Akinlami Babatunde Julius famously known as Elenu, has no doubt become a household name after winning the 2006 edition of the coveted AY Open Mic Challenge.
 
In this encounter, the rib cracker spoke on a wide range of issues.

Briefly highlight some of your achievements in the year 2013
I was able to perform in so many top comedy shows, home and abroad, alongside other wave making comedians. But my greatest achievement in 2013 was the fact that I got married to a woman who I see as my best friend.
What in particular attracted you to her?
“Man wey see fine girl, go everly appreciate her and also thank God.” The truth is that her beauty was the first thing that attracted me to her.  Funny enough, I was in a relationship with her friend but I ended up marrying her because when I saw her, I had this conviction in my heart that she was the right woman for me and it was followed by a revelation from God through dreams. My ex and I are still friends till date because I don’t share the opinion that people must fight before ending a relationship. I still maintain a very cordial relationship with her. Another point of attraction was her high level of decency; my wife doesn’t wear clothes that expose her body, except she is inside the house. She wears very trendy but decent clothes.
Don’t you get tempted by ladies who dress indecently?
I’m a man and if I say ‘no’, it will be a very big lie. But, I remind myself of my marital status and when I think of the consequences, I overcome the temptation.
How did comedy start for you?
Actually, God gave me the talent but AY gave me the platform. Since I emerged the winner of AY Open Mic Challenge competition in 2006, I’ve performed in many shows, home and abroad, and that has given me much recognition in the comedy industry.
Before gaining recognition in the industry, what were the challenges you faced?
I was supposed to perform in a club one day and when I got to the gate, the bouncers and a night crawler refused me entrance with the excuse that nobody knows me and the only way in was to make them laugh… so I had to crack jokes for them first in other to prove that I was funny. That was one of the numerous challenges I faced. But I thank God because things are different now; I have a car, a house and when I look at my bank account, I smile.
What do you mean by smiling at your bank account?
I wouldn’t want to emphasis much on that, but I know that right now, I am worth millions.
How do you prove to someone that you are serious when you are in business?
That is a very difficult part and also one of the challenges I face in this job. I remember asking a girl out before I got married and the next thing she asked was; “You de rehearse another joke?” Most of my friends even hardly believe me when I’m serious. But the truth is, inasmuch as I am a comedian, I don’t joke with my joking business. Outside work, I am a regular guy. Moreover, you don’t expect a banker to always be counting money because everybody has a life after work; likewise comedians.
How do you really make people laugh?
Honestly, I ask myself the same question most times but I have come to realize that it is the grace of God upon my life and the amount of hard work I put into everything I do. Comedy is not an easy thing to do because unlike every other profession, you cannot go to an institution to study comedy. You must have the talent and ability to work hard. And as Basketmouth said: “You don’t choose comedy but comedy chooses you.”
There is a notion that most comedians involve in voodoo practices in order to excel; what is your take on this?
Inasmuch as I know that voodoo, witchcraft and black magic exist, I don’t believe in them. I am this very realistic man that believes that, what you believe in will work for you and I don’t see how it is possible to make thousands of people laugh using juju; such herbalist most be close to God.
Can you ever attempt such?
Never! In fact, anything that cannot be found in the Bible cannot be found in my possession. Although, I am not a saint, I try to live an upright life.
How far can you go to make money?
The only risks that I can take are legitimate risks. I cannot venture into any business that does not have legit backing.
What distinguishes you from other comedians?
I have a grace hovering around me and that is why nobody does it like I do. But basically, it is my fans that can really explain what they like about me. Some say it’s my rich style of delivery while others are in love with my subtle way of relating life experiences in a funny manner because I crack jokes that people can relate with.
Do you crack other people’s jokes?
Yes, but the same way I crack other people’s jokes is how others crack mine and I don’t take offence in it because I see it as a way of encouraging my jokes especially when I get kudos for it. When I crack other people’s joke, I make sure that I acknowledge the owner because my mentor, Ali BaBa said and I quote: “If you are going to crack other people’s joke, make sure it will not be streamed live on air and it wouldn’t be sold in the market.
How was your growing up?
Growing up for me was very rough and when I say rough I mean it. I’m a product of my mother because I came from a broken home and things were very difficult for us because all the burdens were on my mother. I woke up most times and there was nothing like morning food and at a point in my life, I decided to fend for myself as a labourer at building sites where I carried blocks on my head. But it is all in the past now.
By ELIZABETH BASSEY

8 comments:

tony said...

i hope you are investing the money sha

Tina said...

Bros na wah 4 you, if na she leave you go marry your bestfriend you go happy

dan said...

all of una dey form big boy abi, i jus hope say una dey invest sha

Okafor said...

bros you dey try sha

Anonymous said...

nice one

Anonymous said...

all the best bro

fred said...

make you try show some love to your fans. share some of your millions to us o

fred said...

you like fine girls but you no fine why?