Contact: 08099400130, 08023380008 E-mail azuhamtus@yahoo.com

Pages

TWITTER

follow us on twitter:@daylightng

Monday, December 9, 2013

How they killed my romance with Beverly Naya - Uti Nwachukwu cries

Uti and Beverly

 Former Big Brother winner and TV presenter, Uti Nwachukwu is at the moment not a happy man. The dreadlocks donning star finally divulged how some people deliberately killed his blossoming romance with emerging Nollywood sweet heart, Beverly Naya. He also spoke on his encounter with gays, the many rumours trailing his personality among other interesting issues.



Since winning the keenly contested reality TV show, Big Brother Africa in 2008, Uti Nwachukwu’s career has continued to enjoy an upswing trend.
The actor-cum-model has no doubt had his own fair share of controversies in the nation’s entertainment industry.
He was once fingered as a homosexual, but that has in no way stopped the ambitious young man from forging ahead with his career.
 Sunday Express recently cornered the Delta State-born TV star and he opened up on the whole truth about his sex life, failed romance with Beverly Naya and why he has decided to keep his relationship away from the public.
Enjoy Uti, in this candid encounter.
Can we formally meet you
My name is Uti Nwachukwu. I’m a TV presenter, actor, model and event compere.
As an actor, which is your latest movie?
‘Finding Mercy’ is in the cinemas right now. I played Ragas. Ragas is a street boy. He is funny. He is blunt and can be annoying.?It is a really interesting character because I had to play something that is very unlike me. And for the first time people will get to see me differently. I have been getting lots of compliments for the movie; people really love the movie. It was directed by Desmond Elliot and it features Rita Dominic, Chioma Chukwuka, Biola Segun Williams. It has all the motions things that could make you laugh, it could make you cry, it could also make you sad.
Aside from the Uti we see in the movies, who is the real Uti Nwachukwu?
I am a very simple person. I was brought up in a very humble way. My parents raised me to always be humble and gentle.
spiritual person.
How often do you go to church?
It is not about church for me, but I go to church as often as possible. I even go during weekdays. But it is not just about going to church I have a personal relationship and a better understanding with God.
I have done the revelation of God in my life, I need grace, I need mercy. I trust God to a level that I just know that I won’t have to worry.
What prompted your dreadlocks?
Yes! It is intentional. I love dreads. While growing up, I looked at the mob-stick and I liked the way the hairs on the mob looks. I have always love dreadlocks; for me it is a sign of good looking masculinity. I am also a fan of Samson in the bible.
I like the edge it gave me. I have always wanted to experiment with my looks but I couldn’t while under my parents, so the minute I became independent I said okay now is the time to do it.  There was no way my dad would have allowed me to grow this hair, but he had to accept it before he died. My mom too is also a fan right now and she will recommend me to do it like this or like that. I forced them to be fond of it, they came to realize that it is not about your looks but about who you are inside and your spirit.  And they see that I’m a good child that they can trust and rely on.
Obviously, you have all the characteristics to charm the opposite sex, how do you cope with them?
You cope now! What will you do, will you kill yourself. Like I said earlier, I was raised with a lot of discipline. I have a very good upbringing. So I have gone pass the stage of experimenting, I have done all I could with a lot of women in the past. It’s all about being disciplined. Especially, when you are in the limelight. You can’t just sleep with everything you see in skirt.
Through all the attention I get from my female fans, I see it as a sign that I am in the right profession. I look at it like God let me know that he has really blessed me with a lot of talents. He blessed me with charisma and charm.  I know I have to use it in whatever way I can to win souls for God, so instead of using it to my own advantage most times I love to inspire people. I handle female attention the way I handle every other attention.
Have you ever been embarrassed by a female admirer?
Most times, I just walk away. I mean you can’t cheat nature but sometimes the way to cheat nature or to avoid such things is to run or walk away. Or if you like don’t run you will see yourself all over the paper or somebody might use pregnancy to hook you.  You never know what this people might be up to, so you just have to realize the position God has put you in.
You are not just a public commodity; you should be very rare in terms of sexual relationships.
There are so many rumours about you being a gay, are you one?
Abeg! Let them be rumouring themselves jare.  Is it because I don’t want to sleep with them? . Let them talk, if they don’t talk how I’m I going to get promoted. God uses your enemy to promote you; everything works together for those who love God.  Without the gossip, I’m sure I would have faded away by now. Because people will wonder what is it about this young guy that people are interested in both sexually and career wise, so it is part of what has made me who I am today. God will always use your stumbling block as your stepping stone.
How about you and Alex Ekubo being alleged as gay partners?
Let us leave other people and their lives alone. He has his own life, his own career. It is unfair to drag him into things like this. The only role I played in his life was that God used me as a stepping stone for him. You know Nigerians are wicked they are not used to doing things for free, because I don’t think anybody will want to give a friend that leverage without expecting something back in return.  So they find it hard to believe, you can just be so generous, so open and caring to a friend without anything attached to it. Like I said that’s what they would do. In this country how many people will do something for you free without asking you to sleep with them. But I am a different bred, I was brought up well, we were raised with a lot of love and loyalty.
So what’s your view on gay people
I just think it’s irrelevant, that’s not one of our problems right now.  We have more pressing issues at hand right now.
But it has been attached to celebrities
Until you have a gay rumour then you know you are a star. That’s how you know when people start calling you gay, that’s how you know you’ve been in peoples’ minds so much. For me it’s irrelevant, I really wish people could see human beings as who they are, the contents of their character, their passion and love for God. Rather than sex, sexuality. Everything shouldn’t be about sex. It’s so dirty and that shows you the minds of Nigerians. That’s being hypocrite. If you ask me I would say live and let’s live, as long as you don’t bring it near somebody that is not into it.
Have you been approached by them before?
Well not really. But only on social media. Someone set up a fake profile and said so many rubbish. I just laughed and said get out of here go and look for a woman or I would say you need Jesus, or better still read the Bible. You know I don’t take it seriously I just laugh. Sometimes, I’ll just say thank you very much, you are blessed. Like I said it’s irrelevant it is not what is important in this life time. Regardless of whatever sexuality anybody is they will still accomplished what God has said they will be. So people should start paying attention to character and who God has made people to be other than sexuality
Are you in support of it?
Are you trying to put words in my mouth? I just said it is irrelevant, what is my business. It’s like me coming to ask if you have hair in your pubic region. It’s what you do behind closed doors. It’s their business, I don’t need to invade people’s privacy. I don’t subscribe to it at all.
We hardly see you with the opposite sex at events?
That was because the time I was coming out with a female they destroyed a relationship that would have matured into something good, from talking too much, tweeting, putting too much pressure on us. As an entertainer I would advice any up and coming entertainer every other thing in your life can be open to the public, but your personal life. Love, family, togetherness always protect them from the outside world.  That is your only attachment to sanity and privacy, you cannot live a public life both personally and professionally, you will die before your time.
Are you in a relationship?
I will never answer that question. Because I’m the kind of person that will get married and the world will not know about it.
So you are a fan of secret marriage
Of course! I am not a fan. I will have a secret wedding. I am not going to do a society wedding with the whole world coming to dance Ajasco at my wedding and poke nosing. No way, it’s not a show for everyone, it’s a private thing. It is only if God allowed me to get married here, if not my plan is to travel abroad and do a secret marriage.
Where is Uti from?
I am an Aboh man. From Ndokwa East local government area in Delta state. After Kwale you get to Aboh. We are very strong people.
How was your growing up days like?
My growing up days was fun. I was very blessed;e time where everything was comfortable and awesome in my family
Are you the last child?
Yes, I am the last one. Four girls, one boy, I was spoilt in a good way, spoilt in love and attention. I was worked on emotionally by my family, that’s why I am a very thoughtful and caring person. I had a beautiful childhood, my siblings and I have this closeness, we grew up together, and we watched TV together. We will always sit at the dining table with our parents, just gist and play together.  I have that proper family way upbringing and I love it. It is what is responsible for who I am today. I am like an alien among my friends. There are certain things I would not do, and there are certain things I would not tolerate.
 We would like to know more about your relationship with Beverly Naya?
That’s my bestie!  You see what I am talking about people talking too much. Even if there was anything that would have mature between Beverly and I, they spoilt it by talking too much. Going on blogs and saying all sorts of things. I won’t lie, she is an attractive young lady and I was actually starting to like her. Anyway, the good thing is that she has a boyfriend, but let’s say she doesn’t have a boyfriend and we are actually considering it, it wouldn’t have happened because people are already talking. And I swore from then that nobody will ever know about my private life. There was someone I dated earlier in the year, at first she doesn’t want anybody to know that we were dating. But she went from there to say I am not proud of her because I don’t take her to places I go but would rather hangout with my friends alone.
I told her what people do in this industry, even you that is not into the industry they will want to dig into your life and say what Uti’s girlfriend actually is. What you do, or who your family is and your family will not be happy about it. But it put a strain on the relationship that lasted for about three month, and we had to call it quits, because it was like I wasn’t proud of her.  And this is the same person that didn’t want people to know at first. So it’s a gift and a curse but you have to sacrifice something to get something. I am not going to try again.
You mean, you won’t try love again?
I am not trying. If it happens it happens.
 Aside Beverly, have you ever had a crush on an actress?
I never said I had a crush on Beverly O! I am not telling you any crush, though they are lots of beautiful actresses in the industry but it is basically work and nothing more.
Like who among them would you like to be on set with?
Obviously God has blessed me to act alongside some of them. I have starred with Genevieve in Weekend Getaway, with Monalisa in Fraction, Uche Jombo, in Broken Silence among others.
Any romantic scene?
Let me tell you romantic scenes no dey sweet. (General laughter) there are lights everywhere, and you hear the director shout, action. It’s not as glamorous as it looks on TV.
But you look forward to it?
I don’t look forward to it. Because it just takes the joy of being with someone away. It is very uncomfortable, there are no emotions attached, you are just shooting a scene.
Aside acting and modeling, what else do you do?
I host events. I’m an event compere. I’m also a TV presenter, though I have not gotten to where I would decide to have my own company but I am still praying to God so that other people can be blessed through me.
What is your selling point?
I think it’s my character. I mean God has blessed me with okay look, but I don’t think I’m as good looking as people say I am. I know I’m not ugly but at least even if what God has blessed me with physically attract people when they get to know me they will find out that this guy is actually deep inside and has the charisma. I’m very deep and spiritual. That is my selling point, because they are lots of people that look good, but when they open their mouth you will be like God forbid. So I thank God for the character he has given me.
How would you define your style?
I would say it’s very relaxed, very cosmopolitan, very classy and very European. Those are the things I look out for when dressing to go out.
Are you romantic?
I used to be, but not anymore. Life has taught me a whole lot. In fact, when a girl is telling me sweet things I will just be like abeg make I hear word jare. I don’t take it serious. But before when a girl tells me something romantic I will just go to bed and I will be thinking! Wow somebody is feeling good about me. I think it is best for me to protect my heart.
 Is it because of the series of break-ups you had?
Yes in the past. Because I used to be very romantic in the past, but that didn’t help me. I used to think with my heart and not my head but it put me in a position where I was used and taken advantage of.
Do you have any project you are working on currently?
I have a charity coming up on December 20. And it’s called Uti Lives In Style, part two. I did one in 2000, this year is just about bringing stars, inviting people. People have things to give, it could be household items, clothes foods, drinks, we don’t really talk about money but if you have money you can put it in the envelope and give to them that day at the venue. It’s actually going to hold at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, Lagos or Calabar Hall, we are still deciding. Uti and other stars will join to welcome and celebrate with the poor. Just bring whatever you are going to give to the poor.


By: RITA OKOYE, KATE USUANI and NUELLA OGADILLIM




No comments: